Week 4 Reflection Post

It’s said that the election of Barack Obama to the presidency of the United States brought questions about race in America to the forefront of political and social discourse in novel ways and the problem about the post-racial era. Post-racial may means that American social and political life has become race-neutral and rejected the discrimination and hierarchy in nation’s history (Weisenfeld, 2012). The argument here that I think is different people argue that whether America is a post- racial society, and most of them argue that America is not a post-racial society. The society and people need the continued attention to how race and racism operate in contemporary life. I think these are the arguments in the post-racial American debate.

Barack Obama expressed that “America is not a post-racial society”. There are still a lot of racial issues in the American society. Obama used the example of Trayvon Martin to help expressing his thoughts. African-Americans had a lot of experiences and history of those kind of issues happen and has not stopped. While, the United States also made a lot of progresses in the racial issues and problems of African-Americans. Just as Obama said “It doesn’t mean that we’re in a post-racial society. It doesn’t mean that racism is eliminated” (Obama, 2013). The fact is the racial problems still exist in the American society, so that America is not a post-racial society. Based on this fact that people need to know, the activities, movements and efforts should then continue to convey to fight for “a more perfect union” of America (Obama, 2013).

Reference:

Judith Weisenfeld. 2012. “Post-Racial America? The Tangle of Race, Religion, and Citizenship”

President Obama after Trayvon Martin’s death: “America is not a post-racial society”

2 thoughts on “Week 4 Reflection Post

1. I would say while there have been many changes the United States is far from being a “post-racial” society. In the article they talk about how it is considered a “colorblindness” to be in the post-racial society. I do not think that is a good thing at all. To me, it’s not about not seeing the color of someone else’s skin, but it’s is just about accepting a person for who they are and what they believe. It’s a little hard for me to explain, but I think people should be proud of their skin color and they shouldn’t have to worry if it will effect their future. I do agree with some of the people who talked about how Obama said that, “if I had a son, he would have looked like Trayvon.” I understand what he is saying, but at the same time when he is trying to fight for an equal, inclusive nation I don’t know that it was necessarily pertinent to say what he said. The US is a melting pot people come from everywhere and believe many different things. We need to learn to just be excepting and this is something people need to be educated on.

2. I’ve just finished reading that article as well, and I’m really impressed by the contents. President Obama proclaimed that America is not a post-racial nation. However, consider the current situation in America, it’s not heard to see that the United States is experiencing a post racist circumstance. Consider Gunner Myrdal’s idea of “American Creed”, “American Creed”, which contribute to emphasize the ideals of liberty, equality, justice and fair treatment for all people in America, so it’s necessary and I think it’s our responsibility to maintain the racial universal equality Let us not forget the black young man killed by the local police recently. Look how black people contributed to U.S. society in various directions, an obvious example will be what was mentioned in Lecture One, that black people has made up of 11% of the entire U.S. Army during World War 2. World nowadays is facing a severe challenge brought by racial problem and it’s our duty to find a way to solve this problem and make contribution to the world’s future development.