NC Week 5 Analytical Post

My high school was very similar to Valley Groves High. I went to a Forest Hills Central High school where most of the student were born into a family where the median salary is 70,000. I was one of the three hispanics that went there. I was not casted as being“basic girl,”a new founded term to describe a girl who conforms to her surroundings. At my high school, most would agree that all the girls were “basic.’They were often coined as girls who have money to spend on Starbucks, Uggs, and expensive leggings. Another way to describe them would be, girls who don’t really mind not being unique. To be honest, I never really paid attention to such labels and would drink Starbucks, wear Uggs, and leggings, as they would. You would think I would be described as basic, but I wasn’t. I couldn’t understand why if I did everything they did. I soon discovered my ethnicity didn’t fit the prototype of what was a “basic girl.” I wasn’t a girl with blond hair and blue eyes, so apparently that was enough to make me not a “basic girl.” I even had one guy say, “take it as a compliment, you’re not like other girls.” This annoyed me though, because this term isn’t a compliment at all. It is a way to put down women and as a woman I don’t approve of it. The term “basic girl” ties into what Perry was describing. These “basic girls” are in fact identified by their race but according to the definition it is not. She mentions two processes that have a lot to do with what I have just described here, naturalization and rationalization. Naturalization is when historically constituted cultural practices are considered “normal” or what is natural. Rationalization is when embedding of whiteness becomes what is considered rational and marginalizes all others as being “cultural.” I think I would say naturalization was more often seen at my school. My school never formed cliques based off ethnicity but more of style or likeness, similar to Valley Groves High’s cliques were.