Week 5 Analytic Post

Growing up in suburban Columbus, Ohio, my school was much more like Valley Groves than Clavey.  The suburb that I grew up with was much more upper-middle class than middle class.  We were the suburb that had the famous people living in it, such as Les Wexner (CEO of Limited Brands) and Bobby Rahal (Indy Car Driver).  My school was modeled after the University of Virginia, so it had a college campus feel with brand new buildings and columns on the outside.  My classmates were, for the most part, white upper-middle class students.  Everyone had cell phones and the latest fashions, which was very different from the middle school I moved from, which was a much more ethnically diverse school.  The interesting thing for me growing up in this school was the melding of “white culture” and rich culture.  For me, it was always hard to distinguish between the two because the two were so entwined in my life.  I had some previous interaction in my elementary school with lower-class and non-white individuals, but, for most of my friends and myself, we would see white culture as the iPhone having, Starbucks drinking, high school football attending culture we lived in.  My friends played lacrosse and ran cross country and when we went to basketball games, we laughed at how much whiter our team was.  I think Perry’s study is an interesting one that, like many social studies, does not have one simple conclusion.  Trying to define “white culture” is hard because it has become less identifiable as more and more ethnic groups become normalized.

2 thoughts on “Week 5 Analytic Post

1. This is an interesting post, I enjoy knowing your past, as a international student. I’m from China and the situation in there is quite different from native American. All of us share the same race, so we have no idea about Perry’s theory and the example between two high schools displayed in his article. We don’t know what “whiteness is sameness” seems to be and not to mention the word colorblindness. As Perry presented me the two processes of reproducing whiteness as a social norm, which are rationalization and naturalization, I began to realize the racial and cultural diversity in the United States, and the prejudice and misunderstanding about them followed up. Perry consider whiteness as norm, which suits the idea of colorblindness, racial sameness and universal equality, just as what we’ve learnt from this week’s lecture. But considering whiteness as norm somehow denied the racial diversity around the world, by considering all races are the same as whiteness.

2. This perspective is different because most kids know about the middle class and lower middle class schools and communities. I’ve been on both sides and witness them both first hand. I went to school in Detroit and the suburban city of West Bloomfield. In Detroit there weren’t many white kids in the school to begin with so i really couldn’t tell how they viewed white culture. The white kids in the suburban school seemed as though they didn’t believe that white people had a culture. They thought that the way they lived and did things was how the world should do things. Other ethnicities practices were very interesting to the white kids and they would try and do them and just feel weird because it wasn’t part of their everyday routine or it wasn’t part of how they would do things. Its not normal to them so they don’t feel comfortable doing anything that other races do.