Week 5 Analytical

Honestly speaking, I’m really impressed about Pamela Perry’s article “White Means Never Having to Say You’re Ethnic”, especially when he introduced the two processes of reproducing whiteness as a social norm, which are rationalization and naturalization. From personal point of view, Naturalization can be perfectly used under the circumstances that subject involved within white race, and by considering that the general white culture is the norm,  those who are distinctive from white should be considered differently. Rationalization, however, is commonly used when naturalization appears to be meaningless or useless under the situation that the cultural and racial diversity is considered plentiful. Meanwhile, its basic function can contribute to transform other culture into a more foreign style to natives, and by doing so, assimilate them, change them into what’s typically accepted by public, that is the culturlessness of whites.

As a international student from China, I’ve never experienced racial diversity in my high school, which includes all students from the same race, so I think I wouldn’t truly understand the situation described by Perry in American High school. But now I begin to find it interesting and rational to me when I have experienced three years of American university life. With so many friends and classmates from different kind of races and cultures, I realized that the importance of maintaining our racial identities when we encounters people from other races. Even though I’m not white, I understand Perry’s concept of the “white norm”. And I think we should communicate with people from other races and cultures more often, for both enlarge our personal knowledge and for creating a better future with the diversity of distinctive races and cultures.

3 thoughts on “Week 5 Analytical

1. Your mention of your experience in American University is interesting to me. It must have been a huge change to adapt to going from high school in a different country to a huge university with students from many different backgrounds. I agree with what you said about people from different cultures needing to step outside the box and associate with others. Although we have various different ethnic and racial organizations in our school, I feel that they do not do too much to mix up groups. People join groups that they are familiar and comfortable with but this often keeps certain groups together, and almost creates cliques. This is one reason why I feel like although we go to such a big university, we often notice that people stay within their own groups. I also feel like I have noticed this a bit with greek like. I feel like there are not many different types of races and ethnicity involved in greek life unless they are cultural sororities/fraternities.

2. Hello,

Your post was very interesting to read. You made a few points that stood out to m; you’re an international student! Congratulations to you, going to school in another country is a success and also a culture shock I’m sure. My high school was similar to yours, I went to an all Africa America high school. I did not experience the whiteness Pamela was referring to in her video. I found it interesting most people such as yourself found the naturalization and racialization. Both had two distinguishing meaning. You have said “naturalization can be perfectly used under the circumstances that subject involved within whit race, and by considering that the general white is a culture norm”. You also have sad racialization, “however culture is commonly used when naturalization appears to be meaningless or unless under the situation that the cultural and racial diversity is considered plentiful. Overall great job on capturing her article.

3. I found your point of view very interesting because you’re international student from China. I found it hard to relate to the schools that Perry studied in certain ways as well. Mine differences aren’t as extreme as your but I attended an all girls private catholic high school. I didn’t experience much diversity either. I think that is great that you have started experiencing more diversity in your stay at American University. I have found that too. Coming from a high school that was a girls and majority of them being white middle to upper class. I do understand what “white norm” means being that I am white and have experienced in. I agree with your closing statement that people should push pass their comfort zone and interact with people from all races to learn more about their cultures.