Week 5 Analytical Post

I thought that Pamela Perry’s article “White Means Never Having to Say You’re Ethnic” was very interesting. I thought that the process she went through to analyze these schools was interesting. I thought that the schools that she chose to examine were interesting seeing as how many different high schools you could interview in the United States and how many different answers you would get.

If there was one high school that my high school was like it would be Valley Groves High School. I went to Nouvel Catholic Central High School in Saginaw. The school was not very diverse because it was a private school. We did have a few different cultures and religions but it was predominately white. Since we were very close to the public high school in the area, and Saginaw is a pretty small town, we met friends of different races. I think that this helped our situation. We learned about different cultures and religions. If our school would have not been near another high school I don’t think that the students would have been culturally diverse. We had 73 kids in my graduating class and under 350 kids in the entire high school. If we had been segregated, I think that we could have had problems growing up through the catholic school system and not seeing other cultures. Since there is a Catholic Elementary and Middle school, we would have never seen much diversity.

There were many benefits of being in a small town with a public high school close. We met most of the other kids and learned a lot about the different cultures in Saginaw. Our school also did a great job of teaching us about different religions and cultures in the area.

3 thoughts on “Week 5 Analytical Post

1. I found your post very enjoyable and interesting. The schools she interviewed brought up some interesting points on the school districts I attended and others. I do believe that the class status and income has to deal with the diversification of certain school districts. If you take a look into the leading causes for the lack of diversification of schools, you will be able to see the economic differences between the school districts. Overall, this has an enormous impact on schools and the individuals that attend the schools. Due to the distinct differences in pay and economic revenue, certain academic advances are not always available unto one district over the other. This was a similar topic that my classmates and I discussed in a different course. The school district/community that you live in is a reflection of the prosperity of that area. The article focused on two sets of climates where both school districts experienced a significant difference between one another in terms of several things with race being one of them. We seen this affect the way in which students were able to identify themselves within their race and relate it to their culture. Great post.

2. Hello! I enjoyed reading your post. I agree with you when you say had you been further away from the public school, you would have had much less exposure to diversity. I also agree with what William said about the lack of diversity in school districts has to do with the district being from a very specific geographical, and socio-economic area. I attended and live in more of an upper middle class region. However, I worked in a strictly “working class” school district. The higher the income base within the school district, the higher the property tax base and the more money that gets pumped in to the school district. And, I am sorry to say, it does make a huge difference.
    I did find some fault with Perry’s comment that she chose schools that were similar in socio-economic bases. They were not. When she mentioned the mean household income within the Clavey school district – that is not even close to upper middle class. So, I found her assessment of the similar socio-economic bases to not be credible.

3. I enjoyed reading about your own experience growing up in Saginaw. Private schools are a fascinating environment to study, in my opinion, as someone who is studying to be a high school history teacher. Historically, private schools tend to be less ethnically diverse than public schools. Part of this is because many private schools are parochial or have a religious background and, thus, have a homogenous student body. I like to hear that because your school was near other public schools, you had an opportunity to interact with those students. It is important for those schools that are more homogenous to interact with diverse crowds of students. I wish that I had that opportunity growing up, as I did not get that sort of opportunity until I was on the cultural melting pot that is a college campus. That sort of experience is one that can better prepare students for the diverse and exciting world that is out there.