Week 5 Reflection

The idea of culture is definitely related to race and racism. My race is what represents me as an individual. It’s the way I grew up and learned to express myself which also is very similar and often construct my culture. Racism is on the other hand is to discriminate me and treat me differently for my racial identity.

Whiteness as a racial category is often unnoticed because the cultural features of whiteness does not always seem exceptional. It’s often considered as standard norm and if someone does not fit into the ‘white’ category, they are most likely to be discriminated. So whiteness is a boundary between who gets to have privileges and who doesn’t by based on their skin color. Whiteness also puts a great effect on the financial status of people. It deprives a lot of people for getting higher education, having same income and developing assets.

I think the relation between colorblindness and persistent inequality is very interesting. Colorblindness claims that there is no race and everyone is equal beyond their racial or cultural identities. Persistent inequality argues that the idea is wrong.  We often hear the statements like ‘I don’t see color; I see people’ as an example of that. While it sounds tempting, the generalization does not necessarily minimize the wealth or social discrimination between whites and the people of color. Rather it made the white people uncomfortable talking or thinking about racial problems and they often treat others according to cultureless white characteristics. But every individual, every race and every culture should be recognized in their own beauty and can still be treated in just and fair way. Just because we want everyone to be equal, we can’t make everyone ‘same’, and we can’t certainly treat everyone in a white way.

One thought on “Week 5 Reflection

1. I agree that the idea of culture is certainly related to race and racism. With race comes a culture, and it’s very interesting because I think a lot of the things people say to justify racism have to deal with culture, but in actuality, people are discriminating based on skin color and trying to justify this based on social issues – similar to what we saw during the Enlightenment. For example, there are white Muslims that Americans don’t necessarily discriminate against in the same way they would a Middle Eastern Muslim. Similarly, someone might discriminate against a Middle Eastern Christian in the same way they would against a Middle Eastern Muslim simply because of the unfair and untrue stereotypes they have against Muslims. It doesn’t matter that they have different religions – what matters is that they look the same, even though those people use religion and not skin color to justify their hate.