Week 5 Reflection Post

I have said previously that colorblindness is actually perpetuating inequality and racial differences.  To be colorblind is to push away the idea of differences.  The differences have little to do with skin color – ok, if speaking literally that you wear magic glasses that turn everyone some “neutral” color; that would be one example of colorblindness.  However, I challenge that what actually happens with colorblindness is we turn a blind eye to cultural differences.  When Stephen Colbert said in his bit that he just views everyone as white and it’s all good – I look at that from a cultural perspective versus the literal skin color differences.  Generally speaking the colorblind individuals are white and view things from their white perspective, where that normalization, that “whiteness” comes in to play.  If everyone could be viewed as “normal” according to the white cultural ideals (or lack of culture as we explored in Pamela Perry’s article), it would be, as Colbert says, “all good”.  I agree with the lecture that Stephen Colbert has the advantage of being a comedian that can express a huge concept in a funny, yet poignant way.  Then when Congressman Edwards points out that seeing everyone as white works well for Stephen Colbert (insert all white men or women), it doesn’t work out too well for the black woman.  We need to embrace cultural differences.  Something that strikes with me when I consider the concept of whiteness are these Ancestry DNA commercials you see on TV, an example can be seen at this link: (https://www.ispot.tv/ad/7c4Y/ancestrydna-lederhosen).  You generally see white people finding out their “cultural heritage” through this testing.  I think about this and how something like this could start to give an idea to the whiteness that seems to be prevailing in many segments of society.

3 thoughts on “Week 5 Reflection Post

1. Hi Jennifer,

I thought your post was very well written, and you were able to explain your point of view clearly. In saying that, I completely agree with your view that color blindness does not perpetuate equality, it encourages white washing. Like you said, Colbert stated that he saw all people as white, whereas Congressman Edward, an African-American, stated how she would not be able to see the world in such a way. I believe that for most people their culture is important to them, and often it defines who they are in their daily lives and interactions with others. By overlooking a person’s culture, it is as if we are overlooking an important aspect of their personality. It is true that all our cultures are different, but we should try and keep an open mind about others’ just like they try and keep an open mind about ours.

Great post!
    Harshita

2. I completely agree with your point on colorblindness. To ignore someones race entirely is to ignore all the struggles and history that go along with being that race. It is important to be socially aware of the strife that people of minority groups have to deal with. If a white person simply whitewashes everyone they see to make themselves feel more comfortable with the concept of race then progress cannot be made toward equality because such issues would be overlooked. It ties into the concept of a post-racial America. Many white Americans believe that racism is no longer an issue because there is little to no de jure racism. These people don’t take into account all of the de facto racism that permeates our society. To blind oneself to race, even if the intentions are not malicious, is a dangerous mentality to have. All problems within society need to acknowledged and understood if they are ever to be fixed. I also enjoyed your comment about the bombardment of whiteness from websites like ancestry.com. They always feel very “I found out I’m 1/128 Cherokee, who knew my background was so diverse?!”

3. Wow this was great, your comments on colorblindness and the connection you made to ancestry.com is phenomenal, in a way that I can now understand the depths of the reach of whiteness. Throughout the struggles of history there are many minority races who had ancestors pass away without any official documentation of their life, because it was not granted to them by those in power (whites). And so, to market such a website that neglects the fact that there is a large portion of this nation that will never be able to see past two or three generations is ludicrous and insensitive to the “progress” of the United States of stepping away from the grips of whiteness. This revelation alone is proof enough that allowing oneself to admit, or submit to colorblindness will neglect the ability to learn more about what certain cultures have grown from or are heading to. Subjecting oneself to only recognizing everyone as white is still naturalizing the idea of whiteness.