Week 5 Reflection Post

Whiteness as racial category that we learned from this week usually connects with racism and identity. Whiteness separates the people who are different like them in white. The white hegemony is also the thing that developed with whiteness. Whiteness theory treats whiteness not as a biological category but as a social construction. Also the Whiteness-privileging mechanisms work in several, sometimes paradoxical ways. We learn about whiteness in this week ,which could help us to know deeper about white in race and identity.

There is a very interesting topic that we learned this week from the lecture and readings is about the race, wealth and income. It seems that it’s the fact that although when black and white children come from families with similar income, but they are not at the same socio-economic level, the reason is because their family wealth levels are usually so different. From historically, black and white people received different levels of education, and their families have different economic status. Till now, those differences still exist even though the two different families receive the same income. Paying attention and study the problems like this could help people to recognize the problems here connecting with race and wealth in the society.

The interplay between individualism and racism is kind of complicated. While one thing that I want to talk about is individualism helps people to express their individualist opinions about race and ethnicity, while racism should gradually eliminate because people should not receive discrimination because of their skin color and culture. Individualism can help strengthening the society in different ways. With different development in economy, politics and other aspects in the society, racialism should gradually eliminate.

5 thoughts on “Week 5 Reflection Post

1. Hello! I really enjoyed reading your post because I thought it was a great summary of what we learned. I like how you brought up the idea of race and wealth working together. I mentioned in my blog post this week that this is further evidence that racial inequalities are still occurring today. Whiteness is allowing some individuals to believe that racism is over and that we are all equal. This is not true because of our long history of racial issues still affecting our lives today. Everyone needs to understand and learn what whiteness is and how it is working throughout our society. I think that if more people understood this concept then maybe that might push our society in the right direction! It is interesting to see what everyone thinks about race and culture and if there are still problems today. Your post really took a stance on this! Great post!

2. Hi there,

Your post is interesting read and very informative for you made a very good summary of what we learned this week. I agree with you that whiteness theory treats whiteness not as a biological category but as a social construction. Whiteness stands for better education opportunities, living conditions as well as more opportunities to access to wealth. Although when black and white children come from families with similar income, but they are not at the same socio-economic level, the reason is because their family wealth levels are usually so different. Wealth is build up and accumulated generations by generations, although the family income is the same in general, they have total different life quality. Ignoring the existence of racism or race today is to refuse the discussion of this problem. Clearly, the black American do not enjoy as much as white American in the society. I think people should open to have more thoughts on this matter. Ignoring shows irresponsible and indifference to it.

3. Hello,

Your post was very interesting to read. You made a few points that stood out to me. “Whiteness theory treats whites not as a biological category but as a social construction”. I agree! In my life time I have encountered many racist people. In the past, I heard to term “White privilege”. The definition that I have been taught was a white person believing he or she is higher than people from a different racial group. For instance, if I were to go the bank. The bank teller visually see me standing in line and behind me is a white woman. She calls the white woman because of her race. The reason for me not being called on n was because it appeared I was with another person. This scenario also compliments your next point to of view. “It seems that if the fact that although when black and white children come from similar income households ….”. I agreed with mostly your whole post.

4. I agree with your description of whiteness as a racial category. I also liked how you talked about black and white families with the same income still being on different social economic levels in society. Even when black people and white people have the same living situation they are still considered and treated very differently just because of how they look. They can get the same education and live in the same exact neighborhood but black people will still be considered as inferior because of a preconceived stereotype that white people had against black people that wasn’t even valid to begin with. I agree that individualism can be very helpful in getting rid of racism. It can show people that everyone is different and unique even if they appear the same as someone else on the outside. If everybody would realize that no two people are the same and that everyone should be able to embrace other people differences instead of looking down on them and making it seem like thier unique qualities were wrong and inferior.

5. I also found that white and black children from families with the same level were still unequal in socio economic status. I saw this in my hometown where, as a basically middle class high school, there was this racist idea that everytime a new trailer park was build in the area, there would be more black students at the high school, which was obviously a wrong assumption and factually incorrect. That just shows that even though these students were in the same economic status, they were thought of as less because of the idea that blacks are poorer than whites.