White Culture

My high school was a lot like Valley Groves High. It was predominately white with a few Asians, Latinos, and blacks in the population.  It was very much dominated with white culture and did not have many perspectives readily available.  I similarly did not realize that whites had their own unique culture until it was pointed out to me in college because  I had always been a part of the vast majority.
Tracking is one of the processes that reinforces the white culture as the norm and makes it seem to some that whites do not have a culture for it is so mainstream that they do not realize it.  The tracking structure has it so that high-tracked students whom are better off and tend to be white or Asian are better prepared than those who are in low-tracked classes and do not have as much money and are typically black, Latino, or whites from a poorer background.
The other process is the actual denying of the fact that there is a white culture.  It reinforces that those who actually have a culture are lesser and in the minority. Not having a white culture signifies that whites simply do things the mainstream or correct way and that other cultures are the ones who deviate from the norm and the supposed correct ways of doing things.
My high school was better off than a few of those in the area. I saw both of these influence those in my school.  Most of the people who went to my school were decently well off and were being taught properly to ready themselves for the future-being in high-tracked classes. I would also assume that most of my classmates would be puzzled at the thought of a white culture as well as I was.

2 thoughts on “White Culture

1. It seems like you had a similar high school experience that I had. I went to a college prep school and it was extremely weird if someone chose not to go to college. Part of senior year was applying to colleges and it was mandatory. We had a 100% graduation rate also. This almost all white school definitely had a complete saturation of white culture. Just like you said though, I don’t think anyone would have understood the question if asked “what is white culture?” I’m not sure if I experienced anyone putting forward an idea of post-culturalism. Maybe it just didn’t come up in conversations though. I don’t think in depth conversations about culture and racial identity are common fair for high schoolers and certainly not back in the late 90s when I was in high school. Undoubtedly, the wealth status of the school that I went to had an effect of limiting the diversity in the school, and it seems like this might be true of your school too.

2. I had a similar correlation between my high school and the Valley Groves High. I grew up in an upper-middle class suburb just outside of metro-Detroit, and I think with that being said it showed in the lack of diversity within the student body and our staff. My graduating class consisted of mostly white kids but I would say from being in the district since I was in kindergarten, I definitely saw an increase in the amount of diversity in the student body over the years. You mentioned how white culture is often denied in retrospect to society; rather that it is considered the unspoken norm and that other cultures/races are ‘doing things wrong’. This is important to recognize, for two factors. One, that whites are denying that they even have a culture is absurd. Not everyone may consider that white’s have a culture due to this ‘norm’. Second, due to the mainstream of white culture, other cultures are being looked at as if they are incorrect because they may deviate from the ‘norm’. It’s sad that even with the ability to merge all cultures or educate ourselves on other cultures, that white culture seems to be the only correct way of doing things.