Week 5 Reflection Post

This weeks lectures and readings were very interesting to read about. What caught my attention the most was the idea of living in color blind lifestyle. I feel that colorblindness is a great way to think about life and the people living it and I understand that the intentions are always meant to be from a positive point of view, but it is just not something that is possible. As human beings we all naturally make subconscious pre judgments about people. It is not possible to look at someone and not notice the color of their skin as well judge other features. When I hear people say they live a colorblind lifestyle, personally it almost makes me feel that one so focused on trying not to think about their race, that you actually are thinking about it more than you should be. Instead people should just have the mindset of treating everyone equally and grow an interest in the others culture, lifestyles and experiences in which they have been through in life. Just like in the Stephen Colbert clip, he made the joke that he is colorblind and just “sees everyone as white.” This hit the spot for me, because if you lived a colorblind lifestyle then it seems like you would just view everyone as the same person with same background, when that is the farthest thing from the truth as we have learn this semester. All people and races are different and beautiful in their own way, they have all had their experiences, and some have had way more difficulties in life than others and that should be known. I understand that living a colorblind society is meant to be a peaceful and racial avoiding mindset, but by focusing on everyone being the same, I feel that it is can be disrespectful to certain cultures, because we are not all the same. We should all be treated the same, and have the same opportunities and rights, but we need to respect peoples cultures and grow from  their experiences.

12 thoughts on “Week 5 Reflection Post

1. Colorblindness can be tricky because it’s intention may not always be bad. I agree with you in this aspect that those practicing color blind racism or discrimination may just be trying to be idealistic by saying that they do not see color, however, I feel that it is more harmful this way. This is because, as hard as it is, ignoring a problem does not make it go away. The truth is that we do see color and we all have prejudice. We have just always been socialized in such a manner. By acknowledging this and that we are not color blind we can prevent ourselves from acting on our prejudice which is the main goal. It can also be offensive to state that one is color blind and does not differentiate against people. Many minority groups have faced oppression for years and by saying that all is well now and people no longer see color, it also does not compensate for the damage that has already been done.

2. I could not agree with your view on a colorblind society even more. I believe that the idea and what a colorblind society is supposed to stand for is wonderful. However I am smart enough to know that unfortunately, this will never happen. Originally I wanted to see this happen, but after reading your take on this, I believe it would be can be disrespectful to other cultures. I also had the same view in that Stephen Colbert clip that the statement made was a big contradiction to the idea of colorblindness. If you are living in a colorblind world, then how did you determine to just consider everyone white? Is it because you are white yourself? Like you said, if you are truly for a colorblind society, then you should not see color at all. You should not focus seeing everyone, one color. Instead you should focus to learning a person’s beliefs and culture and interact with an individual based of off what your learned. As I stated before, a colorblind society was be perfect, but it is simply never going to exist.

3. I somehow agree with your idea, but colorblindness seems to be a double-edged sword to me. It’s true that colorblindness is a idea that ignoring our skin color and treat everyone equally, which stands for the topic of enhancing universal equality and sameness. Examples like O’Reilly’s idea “No color”, which seems to be extreme but rational, and Steven Colbert, who claims that he “Evolved beyond race”, and insists sameness as whiteness, these instances clearly supported that colorblindness can contribute to make racial and cultural problems simpler and indirectly make our world a better place to live in. However, let’s not forget that the United States and all most all European countries are within the sphere of individualism, and since it coexist with colorblindness, negative effects shows up. Just like the example displayed in lecture 2. Two individual groups of white and black went to the job market, the results appear to be that the black group always fail on their job interview, no matter how carefully they prepared, and the manager consider “whiteness” as the misunderstanding definition of “colorblindness”, so they may hold prejudice on other races.

4. I believe that what you are saying is so important, and I agree mostly. However, I do believe that living a colorblind lifestyle can mean different things to different people. I think that if a black person were to say that they live a colorblind lifestyle it may be seen as more of a positive thing than if a white person were to say it. When white people say it, people tend to get the idea that they are actually trying to cover up for the profiling that they are doing but maybe in reality all they are saying is that they see everyone as equal and treat every person with respect regardless of the color of their skin. It all has to do with how we interpret it. I do think that if people ignore color that is not exactly the best way to go about things because there are deep rooted issues in society that need to be talked about and if we just ignore color we are ignoring the issues that go along with it.

5. Being colorblind is a wonderful concept but not really possible in practice. No one is ever actually colorblind because like you said, we can’t help not make subconscious prejudgments about people . We all see the color of people’s skin and its impossible not have be influenced by what is popular belief. We should strive to treat everyone equally and seek knowledge first so we don’t make rash decisions but to say that colorblindness can exist, is just naive. You made a really good point in your post when you said, we shouldn’t see everyone as the same because it doesn’t celebrate differences. If we were to truly be colorblind then no one would ever ask about a person’s history or culture. The spreading of knowledge would cease and diminish the experiences people would have. A better world is a world where people treat each other respectively but also celebrates the diversity that is among all of us.

6. I agree with you and I think that living a colorblind lifestyle is a very positive and great way to go about our lives. From my perspective a lot of us truly do try to live our lives in a colorblind way, but it is much more difficult than it sounds. Not only do we naturally make subconscious judgments about people, but also the media plays a tremendous role in affecting our views. The way movies, television and the news portrays the world makes it very difficult to live a colorblind lifestyle. Furthermore, I think that the times in which America was living completely segregated are still to near to be completely colorblind. The areas in which we live in especially in Detroit are so racially divided and although year by year there is beginning to be more inclusion and desegregation the areas are so predominantly a certain race that we do not have the ability to be colorblind because we are only seeing the world from one perspective. Overall, I think being colorblind is the way we all should be but think we have a long way to go before that is truly possible.

7. I agree with you on this week’s lecture and reading being very interesting in that the idea of living colorblind is mentioned. It really is a good idea in thought, but we all know that is unrealistic for a lot of people around our nation. You are absolutely right about humans always making judgments about others whether it is conscious or unconscious. It is a part of daily life and it is truly a part of human nature. I would also think when people say they are living colorblind that they are just really thinking about race more often than not. I think it would absolutely be impossible for our nation to live colorblind in the sense of race. People need to stop making harsh judgments on people just because of the way they appear to the eye. Good and evil both come from every shape and form of people. Skin color does not make a difference.

8. One of the topics that I looked at for this weeks reading were being color blind. I think that the concept of colorblindness is an interesting take on the race issue. I do agree with you that we make snap judgments of individuals. This is why we are taught in school to not judge a book by its cover. This is hard to live by, but a lot of individuals try to. I like your take on this issue. I do think that by subconsciously focusing on living a colorblind lifestyle we are bringing to light an issue of race and focusing on it more. I think that there’s much more that individuals judge on rather than color. We need to focus on respecting other individuals and treating everyone equally. We are judged by religion, height, weight, looks, and many other things. We have to learn not to judge anyone else and treat every individual equally.

9. I really enjoyed reading your post. Some of the viewpoints you made were similar to my exact thoughts. For example, you mentioned the statement made by the gentlemen that was along the lines of “viewing everyone as white.” I actually was offended by this statement because I am not white and the color of my skin tone is among the first things people notice about me. In my opinion, the idea of viewing individuals within a “colorblindness” state is not geared toward being positive. In fact, it’s promoting a negative ideology. Our nation is considered to be a melting pot, why should we all be viewed the same? We are great together because of our differences. I do believe that we should treat all individuals the same no matter their ethnicity. However, in my opinion the term colorblindness when related to race ignores the value and heritage of that particular race. Colorblindness also continues to perpetuate inequality amongst races because we are ignoring the racial barriers to begin with. We do not need to erase someone’s race from their identity, we need to simply accept it. Once again, great post.

10. I agree with your post. I’ve once heard thats it’s not your first thought, when first seeing someone, that matters but your second and third. Nine times out of ten the first thing that someone will notice, when first meeting another is person, is the color of their skin. Noticing someone’s color first doesn’t make you racist, I think it’s a natural thing that just happens. I also agree with you about when you say “if you lived a colorblind lifestyle then it seems like you would just view everyone as the same person with same background.” Colorblindness would make our society so boring. One thing I love about America is how diverse it is. You can learn about other cultures and it’s so interesting seeing people who is different about than, it makes our society interesting.

11. I completely agree with you! Last summer I took a class where we learned about race one week, and we actually talked about colorblindness and the ‘Joe Six Pack’. I learned, as was reiterated within this class, that being colorblind to race isn’t possible; though many claim that they don’t see the color of one’s skin. However, the color of one’s skin is most likely going to be the first feature that you see and that you are making pre-assumptions about. You mention how we should do our best to treat all with equality and fairness, which is a great point and I think some people need to work on it more than others. I also agree with your point about how we should learn to embrace and grow from other cultures. It’s so important to be able to do such a thing, because it allows not only us to learn about others but for them to learn about us. Accepting the differences that we possess is the only way that society can advance.

12. I agree with you that colorblindness is something that is important. You are right on when you say that we are all humans and it is easy to judge and have pre-conceived notions when we look at someone for the first time. As kids, we are taught that we shouldn’t judge a book by its cover and it is a great sentiment. However, when people tell us to look at something or someone unbiased, I think it is hard to go against our nature and do that. I also agree that colorblindness is important when looking at other people, but we also have to appreciate cultural identities. This, for me, is another example of separating race from culture. Skin color doesn’t dictate your history, it is purely a physical characteristic. All you can hope for is that people give each other the benefit of the doubt and appreciate everyone else’s culture as much as they appreciate their own.