Week 6 Activity

This week’s basic theme, which is focusing on the relationship between race and science is quite interesting to me, especailly what lecture two showed me, how genetic reseraches are connected to racial factors and its future development and influences on racial peoblems in the future. So I searched the internet for more articles like those four displayed in this weeks schedule.

Among those articles,  Adam Rutherford’s “Why racism is not backed by science” really impressed me, this is an article mainly talk about how race is different from racism according to modern researches and studies within the field of genetic science, and some part of author’s personal view of race and racism based on his life experiences. From what I’ve summerized, when we were talking about the scientific validity under the circumstances of racial problems. The effectiveness of science played an important part of evidence supporting. In addition, from the general concept of the content displayed in this article, black and white or any person not of the nature of DNA equivalent to no particular group genetic basis. What’s more, there are people with a particular genetic characteristics related signs, but these are not exclusive, and does not correspond to any ethnic group may be suitable nickname. Regional adjustment is indeed a true idea, but these are often the expression of so-called racial differences, rather than between them. Genetics has a blig genetics have withered in the past greeting game.

Even today, from an important figure in its history – especially James Watson, co-discoverer of the double helix – the expression can not support racist views. The irony is that when Galton gave birth to Earth and reveal the nature of racial differences between people’s intentions field, his legacy – Human Genetics – show that he was wrong. Most modern geneticists much less but rather like Galton Darwin. An significant example will be that sickle-cell anemia affects all people of color, and as it has evolved, malaria become common. Race doesn’t exist, racism does. But we can now confine it to opinions and not pretend that there might be any scientific validity in bigotry.

2 thoughts on “Week 6 Activity

1. Hi! I really enjoyed reading your article – “Why racism is not backed by science” ! Through the author’s references, I was able to connect with a few other articles and I found one, that I really really enjoyed called: ‘There is grandeur in this view of life’ by Adam Rutherford. In his article, he states – “I am in total agreement with Darwin’s final sentiment that “There is grandeur in this view of life”: evolution encompasses all living things for three billion years, and with his customary humility, it’s hard not to feel reverence for the natural world.” Connecting race to Darwinism was a deep connection with me because I loved studying Darwin in high school.

Was Darwin an atheist? Not really. His unearthing of the theory of evolution caused him to rethink his views of creation, and the death of his 10-year-old daughter in 1851 certainly further prompted him to think hard about the idea of an interventionalist God. But his views on God don’t really matter. What matters are his discoveries about life on earth. True, Darwin made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist, to pinch Richard Dawkins’ wonderful phrase. He’s no patron saint of atheism though, and, given his measured prose, which bellows calm reason and courteous but forceful argument, he wouldn’t have enjoyed the mudslinging that characterises the current climate of religious and atheistic rhetoric.

However, discussing Darwinism in relation to the complexity and evolution of races is an interesting approach. It really is digesting the evolution of themes and connotations behind each race which is relatable to the themes of Darwinism which are so predominant.

2. Hey there! I enjoyed reading your article as well as your blog post. I completely agree with you on the idea that race does not exist scientifically but that racism does. I think it goes back to the lectures we’ve had throughout the semester, where Dr. Peterson has talked about the Enlightenment and universalism. Racism does not actually exist biologically, but throughout history, we’ve found ways to try to justify the concept with science, or pseudoscience at times. Now, I think we recognize the fact that race does not exist biologically, but because it’s been such a huge part of history, we have to address it and recognize its consequences with racism. One way that we have tried to address the idea, or even perhaps to justify the concept of race, is to try to identify certain diseases specific to races. As you mentioned, diseases (like sickle cell anemia) are not necessarily tied to specific races but rather to regions of the world.