Week 6 Reflection Post

After this week’s reading I came to realize that there are, in fact, health disparities by race and ethnicity. Mainly, it was African American people that were affected by racial inequality the most. They have undergone  systematical oppression that resulted in slavery, severe mistreatment and tortures over the years. Over that time, African American people haven’t been receiving a proper medical care, instead, they have been getting heavy, extensive workloads that affected their health. From generation to generation, sicknesses and diseases started to become genetic and followed them through genes.

In Armand Leroi’s research where he states that race is a biological concept has gone under much criticism as he believed the biological concept was supported by genetics. He also believes that considering race as a biological concept would benefit us as a society, however, he still couldn’t find an explanation for placing people in distinctive categories or categorizing them. Nancy Krieger, on the other hand, dismisses Leroi’s statements as she shows that theory of generic similarity doesn’t show the full picture as she uses race and health disparities as an example. Statistics show that average life expectancy of African American is 5.5 years less than of white Americans. Also other factors such risk of being born with low birth weight, higher chances of getting cancer, heart disease and diabetes.

Taken into consideration all these factors, it becomes clear that the racism has affected minorities greatly. Apart from the health treatment and better health care overall, white Americans have a history of having more wealth, while minorities were fighting to escape poverty. Financial side also affects the neighborhood they had to live in and conditions of the houses. This proves that racial inequality still exists, minorities do not receive the equal health care they deserve, and racial inequality needs to be addressed seriously.

6 thoughts on “Week 6 Reflection Post

1. I could not agree with your statement any more. I do believe that minorities are not treated the same when it comes to health care. While the white race are spoon feed and taken care of when it comes to health issues, many minorities are left in the dark and treated unfairly by people that are supposed to help make you better. Then there are the minorities who just simply cannot afford the healthcare and have to fend for their own when they need medical attention. How long a person lives or what diseases a person is more likely to get should not be determined by your race. There is something seriously wrong with that picture. As you stated, this week’s lecture has made it very clear how racism affects minorities in the world today. I love the statement you made about how minorities are fighting to escape poverty while white Americans are living without a care in the world. I also agree that the financial aspects affects the minorities and their neighborhoods. While white Americans are living comfortably in their neighborhoods, black Americans are struggling to pay bills and provide for their families. As you stated, racial inequality is a serious matter and needs to be addressed immediately.

2. I agree with you both. I think the issue of the minorities not being treated the same it the health care system is completely unfair. Then people ask the question of why the black community life expectancy lower than other races. This becomes a bigger problem when blacks are the ones who acquire sicknesses a lot of times and they do not have the proper physician to treat them. It seems like no one really cares about what happens with the people in the black community. I also agree with you when you said that the financial aspects affect the way minorities live. Since people of the black community can not financially afford a lot of major aspects to provide for their family. I think the country should focus their attention on some of the major factors of the issues in the black community. Those are issues that are affecting the black communities growth as a people and holding them back from what they could accomplish in the future.

3. I totally agree with your post and I think it very interesting. Minorities are not treated as well as they could when it comes to the health field. Whites are well taken care of and on a high pedestal while minorities are treated poorly and unfair. Whites seem to have more power and wealth, like a superior culture over minorities when it comes to healthcare. Minorities do not seem to get the same resources and care when it comes to health as whites do. For example, minorities cannot afford certain procedures they may need so it goes ignored because doctors did not do anything to help them a much as they do others. It seems as minorities get looked down on when it comes to healthcare and it should never be that way for any culture or ethnicity. It is sad to say this but these situations really exists in our society! It is sad that race has to be looked at FIRST in any situation. Our society needs to come together as see teacher as equal. We are different but we are all human beings who deserve to be treated equally and fairly. One day, this world will be completely different when everyone is looked at equally.

4. I totally agree with the article and the previous comments. Black people have always been treated poorly and never got the healthcare they needed. And some surveys say that the situation are still bad for them as they have to wait for more time than white people do when getting treatment. I think one reason that the healthcare field being to unequal that somehow the long history of inequality have unfortunately made it for granted and we are used to not address the problem. Not only the history of segregation and deprivation, but also the unhealthy lifestyle, unsustainable neighborhood, lack of wealth and cycle of poverty have a lot to do with poorer health and less life expectancy of blacks. Sometimes they are not offered proper care, sometimes they can’t afford it, and sometimes they don’t even have the access to know about it. And it’s very hard for them to change the situation by themselves as often the people who are supposed to be in charge of that don’t care much. I agree that the country must pay attention to the health problem of minor communities and take necessary steps to provide equal and fair medical care for all.

5. I enjoyed reading your take on the disparities between the health of African-Americans versus that of Caucasians. I did have one problem with the argument presented. I do agree that there is clearly still racism in the health care system. African-Americans have a higher chance of dying from curable diseases because of the overwhelming problem of a lack of affordable health care (side note: I will be interested to see further studies with universal health care being a more feasible option for lower income families). My problem is that saying that African-Americans have a lower life expectancy because of that is sort of like saying a basketball team has a lower point per game average because they only have four people playing. The playing field isn’t even so comparing life expectancy doesn’t really tell us anything other than our health care system needs to be fixed. I guess the moral of this is that trying to use this data for medical reasons is disingenuous, though using it for political reasons would be useful. This for me is another example of how data analysis can be manipulated. Someone could show me that data without mentioning health care and promote medicine or a health regimen. It is all about how the data is presented and used.

6. I agree with you. African American people have been affected by racial inequality the most. They haven’t been getting proper medical care which has infected their health, mortality rate, and infant birth weights. Health care is one of the most important things to have in our life. I once found an article that said African Americans have the lowest infant birth weights and has the highest rate of heart disease. This is primarily for the lack of medical care (like prenatal care or any primary doctors) with the African Americans. I disagree with Armand Leroi’s research that race is a biological concept has gone under much criticism as he believed the biological concept was supported by genetics. I don’t think race is the biological concept. I think race is a concept that was made up by our society to make one ethnicity more superior than others. We share 99.9 percent of the same DNA, so how does race make our biology so different? It doesn’t, we may look different on our outside appearances but on the inside (our biology) is mostly the same. Overall, I really enjoyed your post and thought it was really interesting. I like how you gave statistics to back up your responses.