Week 6 Reflection Post

This week’s lectures and reading were very interesting because it helped me understand the meaning of race and genetics and how they come together. Until reading these articles, I never thought about health problems being categorized by race. I think in this section we tied in race with different genetic forms. The problem that I found while reading is the connection between diseases and races. Overall, I learned that most scientists have automatically thought race was the determining factor when it came to health problems instead of actually researching where these problems come from and how can they be resolved. I do not think health problems should be determined by race because different health issues occur in any and everyone, not just according to race. Based on the readings and the article I posted, it seems as if scientists depended on race and culture to categorize health issues. For example, in the article I posted, it seemed as if African Americans had more health issues than any other race and culture. But, I think, that is not the case. Not just African Americans, but all races and cultures can get these health issues and diseases. Race should not be a determining factor of health issues. Overall, all the articles state how scientists are so quick to assume health issues based on a particular race, races that are not white. I agree believe with Krieger’s statement about racism when it comes to topics like this. These scientists might be white, that are categorizing these diseases according to race. This causes the issue of racism. It is putting white Americans on a pedestal and others who are not white to have all the issues. Blacks are considered the ones with health issues. There is an assumption that white cannot get diseases. It is putting them on a higher pedestal and saying that blacks, and other races that are non-white, are lower.

3 thoughts on “Week 6 Reflection Post

1. I agree that scientists tend to jump the gun sometimes when it comes to race and diseases. African Americans are seen as the only race to be able to obtain sickle-cell-anemia, however it only seems this way because sickle-cell anemia came about as an attempt to combat malaria. Malaria is only seen in places with a high density of a black population. Therefore mostly blacks are effected and are the ones who pass it on. I once saw a news clip of a black anchorman sharing his story about having the disease and how it only effects his own race. This shows that not only scientists are jumping the gun, but also citizens both black and otherwise who are not fully researching the issue of race when it comes to diseases.
    In America, when we show pictures of any African country that is down on its luck, it is the black people who are shown. If one were to see an article on the AIDS issue in South Africa, one would likely see a black person in pain, or at the hospital, or some other unsightly seen. The article would not likely show a white person because that would take away from what the article is trying to depict.

2. Hello, I think you have a nice argument here. I agree with you that race should not be a determining factor of health issues and scientists may jump to the conclusion. But after all, we are different. One person is different from another. There are differences among races genetically. Of course, it is not about racism. It is just difference. We are not talking about one is superior than another. I think it is understandable to think that certain disease in one race is more expected. I think the problem here is to acknowledge some disease is truly resulted from the genetic difference and some is from racial discrimination . For example, in one experiment, a study is trying to figure out the reason behind women of certain race to have more premature babies and lower than average weight. The data and information were collected from self reporting women who have experiences of being racial discriminate, it could be suspected that the experiences may harm the mothers in certain level and the newborn babies’ health condition is not as good. In this case, this phenomenon is not race wise but race discrimination resulted. Race can affect the health in a way to a certain level, it is definitely not the determining factor.

3. I found your post to be very true and you listed many of the important issues discussed is as how doctors and people in the medicine field categorize people based on the color of their skin. This makes absolutely no sense to me and it downright wrong. Like you said it has created health issues for black people and other minorites causing them to live significantly shorter lives than whites. Hopefully someday our technology will advance to the point where we can identify people’s illness with a personal fingerprint, rather than categorizing people by their race. I read an article that talked about how the US will ship out and sell faulty or not FDA approved products to third world countries to use so that they do not lose any profit. It shows how our government views struggling countries. Hopefully we move away from the idea of race in medicine and begin using logic to treat people, instead of racism. I do believe we still are a ways a way from seeing fair and equal treatment for everyone. Anyway good post, it was very informative and you explained the topics we have been focusing on in this class well.