Week 6 Reflection Post

For my reflection post this week, I have chosen to analyze the article ‘The Reification of Race in Health Research.” I have chosen this article because it develops a clear analysis of race, genetics and disease in the historic past, which of course, affects race, genetics and disease future life.

The article goes on to say that ‘historically, race, genetics, and disease have been inextricably linked, producing a calculus of risk that implicates race with relative health status. Racialized groups have been associated with particular diseases. Sometimes these associations are accurate and sometimes they reflect underlying social prejudice. It is against this backdrop that investigations into health inequalities in the United States play out.”

Then the article introduces Troy Duster, a sociologist who examines the associations and who cautions that race-based etiological theories may become hegemonic, effectively eliminating explanations of illness that take account of environmental or behavior factors associated with social class. And sociologist Melbourne Tapper who has studied this process with respect to the identification and management of sickle cell anemia in colonial Africa.

Before reading the article I was unaware that the political project of colonialism was further justified by the dominant discourse on race that identified sickle cell anemia as a “black disease” and contributed to a definition of “whiteness” that was predicated on the notion of invulnerability and health. In high school, we learned about sickle cell anemia but we learned that it was affected by babies, not by race.

Also, the idea that the individuals search for identity may draw him or her to extremist or terrorist organizations could differ in many ways. The individual may be searching for a purpose or goal in life that defines the actions required to achieve that goal. Also, the attitudes toward African Americans and immigrants from the Mediterranean begins racial rhetoric around sickle cell anemia and thalassemia in the United States was very investing.

One thought on “Week 6 Reflection Post

1. I thought that the article you chose was was a very interesting one along with all of the readings this week. I do think that some diseases have been more of a risk in certain races of people but I don’t think their should be any race differences rooting from this. Whiteness being superior comes from many things but illnesses is a big factor in that. It is really crazy that a entire group of people deemed themselves the most superior because other races are more susceptible to becoming ill or having a certain illness. A persons spot in the world shouldn’t be determined by how their immune system works. The division between races in healthcare needs to be eliminated so that it can make all races the same in all aspects. For racism to be a thing of the past we need to get rid of anything that separates the different races in America. The differences in healthcare between black people and white people are on of the biggest ones that we face in America. Black people are more likely to die at a earlier age from preventable illnesses than white people are. The gap needs to be filled in order to truly say that there is no more racism in America.