What is Race

First I would like to say that I have been in love and interested in Egypt and mummies since I was a little girl. The Lower: Egypt, Buto-Ma’dai Culture, the site, Ma’adi was in the south of Cairo, which is considered the suburbs is a pre historic time. At this time, it seems like the Ma’adi had it pretty well with the shelter and the food and didn’t have to worry about anything. But they did have to rely on the Beersheba for things like globular jars that held things like oil, wine, and resins. But as I read on more in the chapter, it seems that the main focus was about the pottery and its ways of feeding their families. Then it turns into the culture of and the remains of the society where they lived in. But I feel like they will never get the whole picture because the connections between each segment were not completely written. I feel like the chapter jumped from one place to another and we hear group and they were never brought up again. I get that it was a set up to the rest of the chapter, but it could have been laid out better so that the readers could understand more.

At the end of the chapter, an interesting question came up, who were the Ancient Egyptians? Being that archeologist does not look at the physical features to determined whether or not a person is of a certain cultural background. You just can’t look at a person and tell them what the world would consider race. Even to this day, people inter-marry and have kids that may not look like either parents, and this is the same question that is asked in this piece.

The organization and Institutions of the early Dynastic state was nothing more than regular people who just took over the place and called themselves the administration. They say that the society was a moneyless society but still had to pay with things to support the king and his men. It was arranged to be this way. The king is said to come about by being king in whom he was depended on the gods. But who would believe him? Especially since the religion wasn’t really believed in until later.

It seems that many of the archeologist disagreed with a lot of the things that was found. So what are we to believe?

1 thought on “What is Race

1. austin49

I think you bring up a few really interesting points. The social construction of “race” has served to reinforce social hierarchies for thousands of years. The thing about social constructions is that they tend to be understood while unspoken, and therefore tend to go undocumented. We have no way of discovering what the circumstances and thought processes were behind the creation of this concept and its integration into social interactions. We can occasionally find clues through other remnants of cultural mindset, but we can never hope to find all the pieces and put the whole picture together again. Who knows how it happened?
    The birth of administrative systems is similar in its defiance of traceability, although the political aspect is often subconsciously better documented (accidentally and only marginally, but still) than the “racial”/social hierarchy aspect.
    Part of the difficulty in tracing these is also due to the lack of effective mediums. Some forms of art are better for communicating thoughts and concepts than others. Which ones are the most effective varies, of course, by culture and the stylistic preferences of a culture. For example, sometimes painted vases can convey a lot more about a culture’s ideology than a papyrus, and sometimes the reverse is true. All in all, we find ourselves scrambling as best we can to collect every bit of available information, and we worry about sorting through it all for clues at a later time. The vast amount of material available is a bit of a double-edged sword in this case: there is a lot of information available, but the task of sorting through it is enormous and the probability of finding something relevant is low.