Intro: Wanderlust

Hello everyone! My name is Julie Jones and I’m a communications major in my final year at MSU. After transferring from Western Michigan and switching majors from Hospitality Business, it set me behind a couple credits. With only 12 credits left, my December graduation date is closely approaching. I don’t have any experience with anthropology, so i’m excited to grasp a better idea of the topic!

I chose this picture because it represents my love of traveling. Growing up with two naval officers as parents, my family was fortunate to see a lot of the world. In the spring of my junior year I decided to study abroad for four months in Italy, where this picture as taken. It was the best decision I’ve made and I hope to travel much more!

3 thoughts on “Intro: Wanderlust

1. Hi Julie, I’m Emily! I will be going into my final year at MSU as well & I also have a love for traveling! It’s really cool that you got to spend four months in Italy. I studied abroad in Spain for eight weeks last summer, but I got to travel around Europe on some of the weekends. When I was traveling, I got to go to Italy for a long weekend, but I really wish I could have stayed for longer. There is just so much to explore! I spent my Italy weekend in Rome and there was a lot of cool sightseeing to do there, like the Coliseum, St. Peter’s Basilica, Piazza Navona, the Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, the Roman Forum, and the Sistine Chapel, just to name a few. Someday I would like to visit Florence, Venice, and Cinque Terre. Other than Italy I really want to travel all around Europe, although I have been fortunate enough to have already gone to Spain, Ireland, and Italy. I really want to continue my travels in the future, and I assume you would as well. I also do not know much about anthropology but it will be interesting to learn more about the subject!

2. Hi Julie! I think that it’s wonderful that you are able to travel all over the world! I too love traveling! I went on a study abroad in Spain for two months so I was excited to see you went on one in Italy for four months. I believe that everyone should travel at some point in their lives. This world has so much to offer us and I don’t think everyone realizes that, which is sad. Your love for traveling is inspiring and great to see! I am hoping to go back to Europe next summer and visit some places I have not been before….maybe even Italy! Also, I have taken three anthropology classes before this one and have enjoyed them all so hopefully you find this course or the subject of anthropology interesting!

3. Hey Julie!
    If you love to travel, which is evident, then you will fall in love with how the ANP courses work. I took a “Women and Health” ANP course a couple years ago and it talked about alternative medicine and the views of our western ways compared to all of the differing cultural views from around the world. I am actually studying abroad this upcoming Spring semester to Melbourne, Australia and I am so excited! When you went to Italy did you go by yourself? I will be going alone, but I am totally pumped to experience such a different culture and live in it!
    P.S. I am jealous of your parents jobs! HOW COOL!
    Sydney Krol