Medication or not, a baby is still born

As we have learned throughout this semester, there are multiple ways in which people may deal with medical situations. Some people choose to go directly to medications, and then there are others who prefer natural remedies. As we focused last week, some people prefer to find healing through religion, and others prefer medical assistance from doctors or drugs. That is also true when it comes to pregnancy, some people choose to do this in a hospital anothers prefer to do it in their own home without the help of a fully educated doctor.

When I were to think about a natural childbirth,I also would simply just think of a day without medication- without epidural, but there is so much more that comes along with the term “natural childbirth”.  I think I am definitely someone who would prefer to just go to the hospital and have a baby the way I personally have grown up hearing about There are many people who simply just do things the way they are used to, which is why some people do natural childbirth, some do medicated childbirth, and then there are the people who spend a great amount of time in an abandoned building with a midwife. I don’t think there is a right or wrong way to do this, I simply think people tend to do what is familiar to them.

Not only is there different kind of births such as natural vs, medical births- there are also the difference between a c-section and a vaginal birth. Most of my life, I grew up thinking everyone had a c-section simply because thats the way I was born, therefore I always thought that was the way I wanted to have a baby.

After reading an article discussing why an epidural should not make a childbirth considered “unnatural” I felt even more strongly about the fact that there should not be a label as to what should be considered a “good” or “bad” way to have a child. As I have learned for many years, it is not right to consider something “weird” or “bad” simply because it is different from the way I live my life. It is different, and only different – not bad, not weird, just different. To those people who choose to judge mothers for using an epidural, It is unfair and I do not think there should ever be a stigma as to why one way is better than another.

Bonner, Mehera. “Why Having an Epidural Should Count as Having a Natural Birth.” TIME, October 2014.

One thought on “Medication or not, a baby is still born

1. I love the title of this post! It made me laugh out loud. I think there is a lot of truth in what you mean by that! Furthermore then medication; rituals, spirituality, and preference are all just background noise to the very important issue in this situation: the baby! Obviously, each parent has the same end result (as long as everything goes well), but it is still interesting to examine the different ways in which we celebrate and prepare for new lives to come and how it affects us.