W5 preventing infectious disease

According to Wikipedia the definition of structural violence is as follows “a form of violence wherein some social structure or social institution may harm people by preventing them from meeting their basic needs”. Referring to the reading we had by Paul Farmer I believe he was trying to say that many of the emerging infectious diseases are found in third world countries where they do not have the proper care or resources people need to make themselves better or healthier. This has always been something that is never really talked about in media or brought up in political issues because yes we do send over doctors and missionaries to help adults and children in third world countries but it needs to be stopped before it happens.

I think the world should start now about what they are going to do about infectious diseases. I think that we should start with getting proper nutrition to people and that will solve many things. With the right food and making sure the food is not contaminated because disease spreads very fast through food is a significant thing we could do by having a standard regulation or testing people could do at home to see if their food is contaminated would be very helpful.

The next step the world would need to take is making sure people have access to proper preventative care. If one person gets sick and they don’t have access to a medical station then disease can spread very easily to another person. I believe we have learned that as a country we need to not just think about our selves at this point with medical care because animals and insects can easily spread disease from one country to the next. For example with the Zika virus that mosquitos carry we could have deterred it from entering other countries by making sure people in the origin where the first breakout occurred had proper care and knowledge about it.

The third step we should take is getting knowledge out to people about current infectious diseases. The US does pretty good with telling people to look for certain signs through the news and the internet but with countries with a population that most don’t have access to these things they need to be able to get information out some way also that is fast and effective.

With these things and countries working together for the health of everyone I believe we can control infectious disease outbreaks.

“Structural Violence.” Wikipedia. June 16, 2016. Accessed August 05, 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_violence.

2 thoughts on “W5 preventing infectious disease

1. Hello Alizabeth,

I completely agree with what you are saying! In order to stop the rapid spread of infectious disease, we must combat structural violence. In harmony with combating against structural violence we should of course devise an effective plan. Effective planning entails world leaders coming together to set goals… minus the unrealistic expectations. The prime reason why countries are in such a slump is because of the World Bank. If nations can some how negotiate with the world bank to alleviate debt, then nations would be able to reform health and educational programs. In regards of health programs, it should cater to preventive care and treatment. Even something as simple as community meetings about awareness can make all the difference. Another point that you touched on that makes a lot of sense is the fact that we tell people what to do in regards of: identifying signs, eating the right food, having good hygiene, and etc. The problem is that the United States for an example tells people what to do, but doesn’t administer the proper tools to achieve efficiency. Take for an example Detroit. I know a few people with a weight problem. Its not bad to the point where they’re morbidly-obesed, but its problematic enough where it deserves more attention. Doctors often preach, “you need to eat right”, or “you should exercise more”. What people fail to realize is that it is very rare that you find healthy places to eat. The reason why I say places to eat is because often people seek fast food. Detroit is a thriving city with hungry, hardworking people. Sometimes people only have time to grab fast food. When I drive down Grand River Avenue in west Detroit all I see is: McDonalds, White Castle, Popeyes, Subway, Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell, Coney Island, Panda Chicken, and ect. Never will you ever see a Chipotle, YaYa’s Broiled Chicken, or anything like that. Its also very rare that you see a fitness gym in the area. Every time I want to go to the gym I always have to travel to either Dearborn, Royal Oak, or Novi (Yes I’m aware the people can workout and cook at home but, that’s not the point). Along with the advice we are given, if the proper tools were given to us, a fraction of the people in Detroit would not be overweight. In conclusion, nations need to do better with not only giving advice, but they also need to make sure that the people have the proper resources and tools in order to enact change.

• Hey Alizabeth,
      I agree with you that we wait too long for the problem to get so intense it makes it very difficult for the doctors to treat disease, or heal an entire group of people. If the US spent as much on health promotion in the third world, as they do on their military, we would see dramatic differences in quality of life for the less fortunate. I like your idea about starting with nutrition to fight disease. A lot of people do not understand that if you eat the right, health becomes easier for your body to obtain. When we eat healthier food we are also less prone to contradicting any disease. I think if countries that need easier access to medical care, start with easy access to clean filtered water, we would see a dramatic improvement in the overall health of people. Like your final point about educating people who do not know about diseases. I think that is vital part of all disease prevention. Great post!