W7: And That’s a Wrap!

My experience from this course was great! I learned about a plethora of topics that I knew nothing about. One of the biggest things that I have learned this semester was actually from the beginning of the class. Our discussion of how race truly does not exists really stuck to me. Before this class, I knew all humans were, in fact, human, but to learn that there is scientifically no evidence of race left me in shock. It is just something that I will remember for the rest of my life. Another thing that really stuck to me is the lectures from week four. I really felt that this section was the section that taught me the most things. I learned plenty of things about the Inuit birthing process, for example, how the elders shake the baby’s hand after he or she is born (Gabriel). But what I really understood from this section and what I really took away from this course is that everywhere I go there will be different ways of doing things everyday things. In America, natural occurrences like birth and death are highly medicalized but elsewhere, it is the complete opposite (Gabriel). To learn about these forms of birthing was a pleasure.

Mental illness has always been something that I am interested in learning about and although we covered it in this course, I feel like something other than what was provided to us would help us learn a little more about it. We went in depth about schizophrenia and left other diseases behind. Schizophrenia effects such a small portion of the world. I feel that looking at a more common mental illness, such as depression, will be more suitable. Because of this, the additional item that I think will add value to the course is this qualitative study of depression among different culture groups.

https://bmcfampract.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2296-10-53

This qualitative study is somewhat like the article by McGruder included in this section of the class, but it is also different because it studies depression and it presents it in a very scientific way. By reading this study, one can learn many things. For example, the information included in the background portion of this study was very interesting. It explains that different countries have different ways of measuring how severe a certain diagnosis is (Lehit). It also explains the differences between primary care help and psychiatric care. In psychiatric care there are specific guidelines set by organizations such as HAD and NICE, but primary care physicians do not have to follow (Lehit). This can be problematic considering the unevenness of treatment.

Gabriel, Cynthia, PH.D. “Inuit Birth” Lecture, Online, August 16, 2016.

Gabriel, Cynthia, PH.D. “”Medicalization” of Everyday Life” Lecture, Online, August 16, 2016.

Lehti, Arja, Anne Hammarstörm, and Bengt Mattsson. “Recognition of Depression in People of Different Cultures: A Qualitative Study.” BMC Family Practice. July 27, 2009. Accessed August 17, 2016. https://bmcfampract.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2296-10-53.

2 thoughts on “W7: And That’s a Wrap!

1. Hello!
    I totally agree with you when talking about race. I had no idea how little of a difference everyone had around the world. To find out that it was just a geological location of their ancestors really made me question how people think that we’re totally different. That’s something I’ve told other people already, and they’re just as shocked as me, so hopefully more people will understand. I also talked about the Inuit lifestyle in my blog. The birthing process that culture has is so different than ours it was mind-blowing. To want to be totally alone and have that moment with your baby only for you to is amazing yet so terrifying and I know that I would want my husband there for support, so those women must be so strong to do it alone. Nice suggestion for the article as well, so nice that it goes in to more detail about how countries measure diagnosis and how to treat different problems.

2. I must say that I like that the lecture about race helped to broaden your mind. From other classes I was aware that race had played a role in other areas but I had never took into consideration that there would be some discrimination in healthcare treatment. This made me question if other countries had similar racial issues like those in America. I really liked learning about the Inuit as well. My favorite portion of that week was learning that during the birthing period the fathers would bury the placenta. I found this very interesting because although it is different from American culture it is similar because it is assumed that if you eat your placenta it is better nourishment for the body.
    I must say that I agree with you that I wish this course would have addressed other mental illnesses. I think depression is a common illness that would have been interesting to learn more about as far as how it is handled in other cultures. For example is it seen as a disease or a curse from disobeying their religion? I think the article you mentioned would be a great addition to this course. I think it will teach about different countries and how they diagnosis depression, the care should have guidelines to follow because it will help in the healing process.