- Lecture: 1.1. Culture, Health, Illness: Introduction
- Lecture: 1.2. Understanding Race and Ethnicity in Medicine
- PDF: 1.1. Lauderdale, Diane S. “Birth Outcomes for Arabic-Named Women in California before and after September 11””
- PDF: 1.2. Lee, Lisa. Chapter 3 – “Footbinding”In Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.
- PDF: 1.3. Hunt, L.M. and Truesdell, N. (2013) Chapter 5 – “Observations on the Tenacity of Racial Concepts in Genetics Research”. In Anthropology of Race: Genes Biology, and Culture. J. Hartigan, editor. Santa Fe, NM: SAR Press. Pp. 83-106.
- Activity: 1.1. At Understanding Race do the six activities at “Human Variation” (including the quiz) and five activities (you do not have to do the blog) at “Lived Experience” [include instructions if necessary]
- Activity: 1.2. At What is Race? read the ten facts at “What is Race? Is Race for Real?” and then do the activity “Sorting People” and the activity “A Tale of Two Families” in “Where Race Lives”
- Film: Becoming American (29 min.) Episode: Latino immigrants arrive healthy, so why don’t they stay that way?
- Blog Post: Post Prompt – DUE by Friday 7/8 @ 11:59pm EST
- Blog Comments: DUE by Sunday 7/10 @ 11:59pm EST.
*** Sometimes, when you post a comment is will said “pending moderation” or something like that. Don’t worry about it – I will go in and approve all comments so you will receive credit for the assignment***