- Lecture: 3.1. Cartesian Duality, Biomedicine, and “Spirit” (Or “What’s the difference between Medicine and Religion?”) (Note to self: this lecture will cover the Kung healing dances, Tibetan medicine, as well as TCM, use examples from Sept 2014 MAQ article about cancer)
- Lecture: 3.2. The “Does it Work?” question and the nature of science
- Link: “A Low-Tech Approach to Fertility: Just Relax”
- PDF: 3.1. Unschuld, Paul. What is Medicine? Western and Eastern Approaches to Medicine. Chapters 1-5 (pp. 1-20), pp. 89-90 “Theology without Theos,” (Skip “Everything Will Be Fine” and “Left Alone in the Computer Tomograph”) Read pp. 91-96. (Available as an e-book through the MSU library on-line)
- PDF: 3.2. SKIM THESE ARTICLE ABSTRACTS (create PDF of article abstracts)
- Fritzsche, Kurt, M.D., et al. “The Treatment of Patients with Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms in China: A Study Comparing Expectations and Treatment Satisfaction in Psychosomatic Medicine, Biomedicine, and Traditional Chinese Medicine“, INT’L. J. PSYCHIATRY IN MEDICINE, Vol. 41(3) 229-244, 2011
- Berga, Sarah, M.D. “Recovery of Ovarian Activity in Women with Functional Hypothalamic Amenorrhea Who Were Treated with Cognitive Behavior Therapy“
- Rapoport, Nathalie, M.D. et al. “‘Letting go’ Coping is Associated with Successful IVF Treatment Outcome“, Fertility and Sterility, Volume 92, Issue 4, October 2009, Pages 1384–1388.
- Leng JC, et al. 2014. “Traditional Chinese Medicine Use among Chinese Immigrant Cancer Patients“
A note on Skimming: Different kinds of writing lend themselves to different kinds of reading. I am asking you to read the abstracts of these scientific studies. If you are interested in learning more, you can find all of these studies on-line through the MSU library.
- Film: 3.1. BBC Documentary “The Science of Acupuncture” 57:57
- Clip: 3.1. SAN (Bushman) Healing Dance Botswana Africa 9:12
- Book: continue reading The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. Chapter Four and Five (note: we will discuss in Week 6)
- Blog Post: Prompt – DUE by Friday 7/22 @ 11:59pm EST
- Blog Comments: DUE by Sunday 7/24 @ 11:59pm EST.