- Lecture: 5.1. Critical Medical Anthropological Theory
- Lecture: 5.2. Ecological Theory
- PDF: 5.1. Hewelett, B.S. and B. Ebola, Culture and Politics: The Anthropology of an Emerging Disease, selected pages: 1-16, 28-31, 40-41, 63-82.
- PDF: 5.2. Farmer, Paul. Chapter 6 – “Rethinking ‘Emerging Infectious Diseases'”. In Partner to the Poor: A Paul Farmer Reader pp. 155-171,
- Link: 5.1.-5.4. Four reports about Ebola from different theoretical perspectives:
- NPR. Goats and Soda – Could Ebola Become As Contagious As The Flu?
- NPR. Goats and Soda – Calm After Ebola Storm: Quarantined Neighborhood Opens Up
- NPR. Goats and Soda – The Changing Face Of West Africa Has Fueled The Ebola Crisis
- NPR. Goats and Soda – Ebola Took Her Daughters and Made Her an Outcast
- Book: continue reading The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. Chapter Ten and Twelve (Note: We will discuss next week!)
- Film: 5.1. “Dr. Paul Farmer on African Ebola Outbreak: Growing Inequality in Global Healthcare Root of Crisis” Start at minute 13:30 and watch until the end 58:56.
- Blog Post: Post Prompt – DUE by Friday 8/5 @ 11:59pm EST
- Blog Comments: DUE by Sunday 8/7 @ 11:59pm EST