week seven blog

When a language goes extinct we lose a part of history that can never be recovered. There are many languages that we find written on tablets and temples that we cannot identify. Some we cannot even translate because there is not enough letters to create a text from. Then we have languages that many can read but have not been spoken. The lose of these languages have put us behind on understanding our roots as a civilization. However we benefit from not have too many languages because if we had many different languages it would be hard too communicate with each other because we would have to know and be fluent in at least three languages to talk with regular day people. It wouldn’t however be easier for everyone to speak one whole language because I think it would take away the culture of things and it would take away the things that make people different. Because English is not my native tongue I don’t think I would have a personal connection to it. Being an African American English is a language my ancestors were forced to learn, mean my own language may be extinct. Although English is easy to learn I think many people who use different types of pronouns and sentence formation like Spanish may find it hard. However English is apart of my history so to see it go would be hard due to that fact most people in the world speck it. I think the steps we are taking now by recording people specking English and writing English is a great way to preserve the language.

Overall I think this course was very exceptional because I learned a side of language that I never knew of. I also knew that language had root in culture but I never thought about how our social and cultural views shape the way in which we speck. I never knew that the way in which we speck around a person could affect the way they speck back. I also enjoyed that this class was very interactive with giving us task to do at home to experiment with language. It also helped us realize our own experiences with language and culture that we never thought was a factor to how we communicate. The class was not what I thought it was going to be because I thought it was going to be studying dead languages of lost civilizations. Even a bit more writing is what I expected but it wasn’t that bad. I don’t think I will be able to use a lot of what I learned in this class in my future profession because many surgeons don’t communicate that much with their patients. But it will help when it comes to understand the ways in which they communicate and evaluating our relationship. I think being in this class has thought me to view the way we speck as its own part of culture that shapes who we become and how we learn. It also helps with understand social inequalities in different regions.

One thought on “week seven blog

1. I agree completely. There is a part of history that comes along with a language that, if lost, can never be recovered. I am a bilingual speaker in which I am blessed to speak both English (as my native language) and Arabic. I wrote in my blog post about how, when I was little, I was able to read and write Arabic fluently because I went to Saturday school, and as I got older, a tutor. However, as I neared the end of my high school career, I stopped attending my tutor. As a result, I lost a lot of the language I had learned. Sometimes, I couldn’t even form a proper sentence and I found myself not being able to remember simple words that a two-year-old Arabic speaker is able to identify. So I completely understand that when a language is lost, there is more than just the language that is lost. There is also meaning that is lost. If I didn’t have anyone to help me remember the words I lost remembrance of, I would’ve lost those words forever. That’s a scary thought! I think it’s already very hard to communicate with someone that lives in a different part of the world. I recently visited Montreal, and I had to have my cousin speak for me most days because the main language that is spoken there is French, a language I know but only a few words of. I agree. Even though English might not be your native tongue, you still know it well, so to see it go would be a travesty. Great post!