You got your Jesus in my Horus

I spoke prematurely in one post about the dubious Jewish enslavement in Egypt, after writing that post I read Hassan’s article and was surprised at the connection. She traces the evolution and mutation of certains beliefs as they morph into others through time, going so far as to make a claim as to why.

She identifies the many basic traits of Egyptian gods and connects them effortlessly to Christian dogma (though she does speak about Judaism, the connections to Christianity are my main focal point). Horus and Jesus, the “nursing Isis'” relation to the “nursing Mary,” even the general notion of the Trinity. On and on they go, there’s no point regurgitating them here. What I find most interesting about this, though it relates very little to the actual archaeology of Egypt, is the blatant evidence for cultural re-appropriation. It isn’t even hard to determine, nearly every aspect of Horus’ story is echoed by ‘The King of King’s’ story.

Not only did Christians manipulate Egyptian dogma, but the other most easily recognizable perversion would be Wiccan and other ‘pagan’ religions. The pentagram, pointed witch’s hat, even cats become a symbol for evil – again the list goes on and on. These symbols are not necessarily tied to Biblical sources, but instead surround it and add to the mythos. Even ‘traditional’ imagery is called to question – most conceptions of Satan stem from Milton. It becomes increasingly easy to spot the points where Christianity absorbs its predecessor and mutates it to create new symbols of evil. As “Egypt was the counter-image, a polemical counter-construction created by “normative inversion” – the creation and perpetuation of a binary opposite needed for contradistinctive self-definition” (Hassan, 262). This principal certainly applies to our studies of ancient Egypt, but it can quite easily be applied to anywhere “the good word” spread.