A Desert Too Dry

Of all the things that grabbed my attention while reading this chapter, the issue that struck me the most was the fact that most of the desert area of Egypt has yet to be investigated. According to the chapter, “Paleolithic sites in the desert are much better preserved that those in the Valley, but archaeological exploration of the deserts has also been limited.” I understand that it’s extremely difficult to dig at a site with conditions of the desert, but it’s still a pity that there is so much evidence still buried deep in the sand.

This brings me to what I discussed in my first blog – that it is unfortunate that some of Ancient Egypt is getting washed away from the flooding of the Nile. It’s almost like Ancient Egypt stands on both ends of the spectrum; in one region, archaeologists can’t get to the artifacts because there is too much water, and in another region it is far too hot and dry to set up survivable dig sites. I know nothing is perfect, but a part of me is wondering if there is more that could be done to uncover these sites. Is it simply a funding problem? There must be ways to set up camps that are survivable in in the desert, but of course I am no expert on it; maybe it really is impossible to dig in some of the regions in Egypt.

It seems so ironic to me that a land that helped Ancient Egyptians thrive for so long is now making it extremely difficult in some areas to uncover their homes and culture. It’s almost like fate or a higher power is deliberately adding some difficulty to the hunt to understand Ancient Egyptian civilization. In reality, it’s just the planet Earth doing its natural thing, and that’s something even human beings can’t always overcome. However, I still stand by the fact that it is unfortunate that these natural obstacles are in the way of Egyptian archaeologists.