Egyptian Religion

One of the most intriguing parts of an ancient culture is their myths, religious figures, and religious practices. Egyptian religious practices is one of the most interesting, aside from Greek mythology. There is an interesting theory modeled Jesus Christ after the Egyptian god Amun Ra.

Jordan Maxwell wrote that the reason “Amen” is said at the end of each prayer is because the Vatican church wanted to pay tribute to this kings of the gods. Supposedly the Bible and Jesus are just a fictitious fabrication actually describing the life of Ra. He is he king of the gods and is often equated to Zues within Greek mythology.

Just like Christians have the Bible as their official text, the Egyptians had what was known as the Book of the Dead. It contained the major beliefs and ideas of the ancient Egyptian religion.

This is an image of another important Egyptian religious entity known as Anubis. He is jackal-headed and is associated with mummification and the afterlife. When I saw this image I was intrigued because in his left hand he holds and ankh which was a popular Egyptian symbol and talisman meaning life. I always thought that it meant physical life but I now realize that it represents future life or life after death. It makes sense because the afterlife was a very big concern to Egyptians. It was almost more important than their actual lives. They tried to live their lives in such a way to would reflect positively on their physical death.

It was believed that each person had 3 souls: the “ka,” the “ba,” and the “akh.” Death was only a transitional stage that lead Egyptians to a better, more perfect life. This is why so much time and wealth was spent on preparing for the next world.

Quick Fun Fact: Egyptians worshiped (collectively) as many as 2000 gods and goddesses.

http://www.krschannel.com/Amun_Ra.html

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/pictures/ankh/ankh.html

http://www2.sptimes.com/Egypt/EgyptCredit.4.3.html

2 thoughts on “Egyptian Religion

1. Thanks for the post about Ancient Egyptian religion. I also find the religious beliefs of Ancient Egypt really fascinating. I didn’t realize that there was a theory that the Jesus Christ was actually modeled after the Egyptian god Amun Ra. It’s really interesting to think how ancient practices merged with other traditions. In my Christianity class, the professor showed a documentary which compared Mary and Jesus to the Egyptian goddess Isis and her son Horus. When Christianity was on the rise, Isis was seen as a goddess who would grant wishes and perform extraordinary miracles. Additionally she was renowned for providing immediate protection. According to the documentary, it is possible that early Christians monopolized on the popularity of the goddess Isis and her son Horus through comparisons to Mary and Jesus.

Another interesting thing about your post was the Ancient Egyptian concept of the afterlife. I had no idea the ancient Egyptians had a concept of three souls. But the ideas of rebirth in a new afterlife seems to be one common sentiment within many religions. Since many of the ancient artifacts talked about in class are found within a mortuary context, it seems that ancient religion has a significant role in archeology, because it allows archeologists to paint a better picture of the lifestyle of Ancient Egyptians.

2. I think that right next to the pyramids and mummies, Egyptian mythology and religion is one of the interesting and complex aspects of Ancient Egyptian society. Even though people may not know specific Gods and Goddesses like Anubis, Ancient Egyptian religious figures are fairly common in general knowledge.

You pointed out the belief that Christianity was influenced by the Ancient Egyptian religion, and you also mentioned Zeus. I think it’s worthy to note that nearly every religion contains some sort of “after-life” and within that “after-life” there is some sort of deity who is the ruler. In Christianity it is God (in Heaven) or Satan (in Hell), in Greek Mythology it is Hades, and – as you have pointed out here – in Ancient Egyptian it is Anubis. I wonder if this is simply a coincidence, or if there is some larger cultural transformation at work here. Kudos to the poster above who also mentioned Isis, Horus, and their possible connections to Mary and Jesus.

The concept of religion is fascinating, and the fact that it is found in the majority of history leads to a big question for me. How did the idea of a religion become mainstream, and what encouraged people to push religion into society. And second, if we are to assume that religion began as a fundamental outline, what caused the various religious sects to grow and spread, and ultimately, lead to conflict (particularly in today’s world?)