Questions of Abydos

From our lecture on Tuesday October 16th, I learned how significant the ancient site Abydos is.  This archeological site is split up into two area.  The northern part is pre-dynastic with cemeteries containing circular graves.  However the southern part has been dated to the dynastic period.  Another name for it is “Land of the Dead”.  This site got its name because there are a lot of kings that are buried in the area.  This royal necropolis contains many tomb and tomb complexes.  Fortunately we have been able to identify a few of them.  Iri-Hor, Ka, Narmer, Horus and also Aha.  Along with the royal tombs, boat graves have been found as well.  The northern portion of Abydos is excavated by Germans and the southern portion is excavated by the University of Pennsylvania.

The other fact I learned from lecture was that there has never been any evidence found of an associated settlement.  Not only do I find this odd because it is near another city, but also because of economic advantages.  It is very strategically located for a settlement.  It is right at the interception of the Nile so that means it is in the perfect position to control trade from the Red Sea.  This site had the potential to have been a major contributor in the expansion of trade in Egypt.  This surprised me because with a lot of the other things we have looked at, the ancient Egyptians have seemed so advanced and I would have thought that they would have made the most of the land they had.  Especially since the city had such a promise for a growing power hungry country.  I also wonder if the unification of Egypt would have come around sooner if this site would have been built up and used as a major trade city for the rest of Egypt?