Virtual Egypt

This week, I decided that I wanted to get another look at Ancient Egypt. As I was researching, I came across an article from the New York Times: Visiting Ancient Egypt, Virtually. “The result of that collaboration from Harvard and may other individuals is Giza 3D , a wraparound virtual environment introduced in May that lets visitors eavesdrop on Khufu’s funeral rites, skim over the waves in the ancient city’s harbor, or drop down into a pyramid burial shaft that has not been visited by humans in more than 100 years. With input from scholars in Germany, the United States, Italy, Austria and Egypt, the project “is a completely new portal for doing research, Dr. Manuelian said.”

Make sure that you open the link in a Firefox Browser, otherwise the site will not load. It says that if you have 3D glasses you can even see it in 3D on your computer. But you do not need 3D glasses to interact with the site!

I decided to take a look at what the site had to offer. There is a short introduction, interactive sequence, but if you download the 3D driver, then you are able to have more interaction in the second half of the site.

It was fascinating to be able to interact with a site in Egypt without having to actually step foot in the country.  One of my favorite parts of this interactive webpage is the ability to look through all of the artifacts found at all the sites and pyramids that are included. You are able to zoom in and out and rotate around the objects to get a closer look than you would be able to with a photograph. I was amazed that I was able to see the texture on some of the pottery that was included in the tomb of Hetepheres!

I hope everyone else enjoys this site!

3 thoughts on “Virtual Egypt

1. Hi Autumn, I’m excited to hear about this virtual tour of some of the sights of Egypt, but also note that the site suggests this as a tool for research. At first glance, it would seem more appropriate for educational and perhaps tourism-related purposes that serious scholarly research. I was going to ask how they intend this tool to be used in scholarly applications, but with the indeces of artifacts and their associated metadata or contextual information, the use becomes clear! Digital repositories like this are becoming more common, so that archaeologists can access their data remotely and allow other (unfunded) scholars to access the data remotely. Are you planning on using this for your final paper in this class?

2. Thank you so much for providing the link to the 3D virtual tour of the pyramid of Giza. I had so much fun looking around the layout of the tomb, and all of the different artifacts. It seems so amazing what kinds of potential that the new technology has on studying ancient cultures. You have both pointed out the educational and scholarly research potential, and I think that is extremely accurate. In this age of globalization, now as long as people have access to a computer, we can access these 3D images. If this technology continues, it could be possible for several artifacts to be scanned and synthesized by scholars across the world. I think that Emily’s right, the possibilities for this to affect scholarly research is extremely great. Thanks again for sharing this site, it was really interesting.

3. This is extremely fascinating! Over the summer, I had an online class and there was a similar video that I came across. It was part of one of those: TED talks/speeches and the guy presenting recreated the lanscape of Manhattan.
    It may not have been a recreation of ancient times, but it was roughly the same. What he did, was recreate the landscape of Native American times, Manhattan. It was a really cool simulation and in addition, he overlayed it with modern day, Manhattan. With both the recreated past and present, layered over each other in one picture, it was quite fascinating to see the drastic differences. It would have been way cooler if it were put on a website and made into an interactive thing, such as this interactive Giza!
    I breezed through the article that was provided, and I like what Dr. Schnapp said about the web and public space and the convenience of it when it comes to accessing past things. I think that this interactive website is a great way of demonstrating the direction that the Web is pushing historical investigations As Dr. Schnapp said, the integration of the web and archaeology, is changing the nature of scholarships.