Alexander

After looking more into the material discussed throughout class this week, I decided to take a particular interest in Alexander the Great and his relationships with other ethnic groups. During my digging on the internet outside of class, I found that Alexander was followed by both the Greek and jewish populations. Before this discussion and interest, I assumed his only connection was to the Greek people living in his native country. I actually had no idea he was supported by any other group who had not been previously forced to do so. With this new information, I continued to research the siege of Gaza, considering that is the main focus of our particular area of study. I’m not sure I realized how theatrical his “conquer style” was.

After his battles with numerous Mediterranean cities were won, rapidly adding to his growing empire, Alexander the Great approached his end- sights set on Gaza. He and his army of nearly 45,000, despite two initial failed attempts, stormed the city of Gaza for a third time wen they finally met success. He was strategic, but cockily persistent, the latter of which I personally believe may have lead him into his own death. Choosing to flank the city’s southern side, of course being its weakest, Alexander devised a plan to pillage the town disregarding its plateaued location 60 feet above he and his men. Constructing ramps to storm then take the city would have been enough, but as his style suggested, it is evident that was not enough. Taking the initiative to tie Gaza’s King to the back of your chariot and prance around that defeated town took matters a little overboard. Then you go and kill every single male resident and sell the rest into slavery.

I understand that Alexander the Great holds great respect in modern times, but I was not at all familiar with his tactics. Times were different back then, but my statement still stands that the man was a bit theatrical. I am always so intrigued, and sort of blown away, when I look further into the characters of history I have only ever known a line or two about. Things are so different than they seem, and perception really is everything. Alexander the Great definitely fits into that unknown category… Who knew he was such a drama queen?

1 thought on “Alexander

1. I definitely agree with you that Alexander the Great had a “theatrical conquering style,” and we see it through his military conquests. With this theatrical conquering style combined with strategic intelligence in military warfare, Alexander the Great had proved to the world his position of power and greatness. This is the reason for why his name has a permanent mark in the history of man. His style of success is what made him admirable by others, which leads me to believe that this may have been the reason for why those who were not forced to join his regime joined to be a part of that great written history. Or probably because others knew that it wouldn’t be long before they became a part of the sad section in written history where Alexander would have embarrassingly annihilated them. Whatever the case may be, his theatrical style of conquering his foes is very entertaining and appealing. I am also very intrigued in learning about individuals such as Alexander the Great that had major accomplishments in their lifetime. I am particularly interested in the military leaders of the past and their military tactics. Sun Tzu was also a great military strategist and philosopher that had major accomplishments similar to Alexander the Great in China.