Final Post

My personal favorite topic of discussion in Egyptian archaeology dealt with the socio-political structure of ancient Egypt.  I chose this as my favorite topic because it has particular relevance for my future dissertation research.  For my dissertation I will be assessing trauma frequencies in a medieval cemetery from Nubia.  I also chose to write about the relationship between interpersonal violence and political instability in ancient Egypt and Nubia.  While doing my final paper research it was imminent to have a good understanding of the socio-political structure of Egypt in order to fully understand the fluctuating frequencies of traumatic injury within archaeological sites dating to different time periods.  What I discovered in my research is that there is a high correlation between high levels of interpersonal violence in Nubia and times of political instability in Egypt.  My research assessed archaeological sites from the Naqada II period (Hierakonpolis) all the way into the late Christian period (Kulubnarti) and I was able to link the fluctuating trauma frequencies reported from the archaeological record to the socio-political context of each particular time period.  For example, at the site of Hierakonpolis, dating to Naqada II, the rate of interpersonal violence was not particularly high, which was unsurprising as the cemetery population I was analyzing preceded the intensification of state formation in Egypt.  Likewise, when assessing the data from the city of Kerma, a Nubian sample dating to the Kerma Classique period, a high rate of traumatic injury was clearly observed.  Again, this trauma frequency correlated nicely with the ethnographic evidence of warfare and direct hostility between Egypt and Nubia which we discussed in class.  Overall, this class has helped give me a better understanding of ancient Egypt and its southern neighbor, Nubia.  This knowledge will contribute greatly to my future research on violence in Nubia.