Bonus Blog

Over the course of this class we have learned about many interesting topics in Egyptian archaeology. Though everything covered in the course was of great importance, I personally believe the subject of language and its role in ancient Egypt was of particular importance. With great archaeological discoveries such as the Rosetta Stone and other pieces of text, the language of the ancient Egyptians has been preserved and a great deal has contributed to the understanding of the people of the ancient world.

The Rosetta Stone, currently residing in the British Museum, has been the greatest and most informative preserved text of the past, providing the world with three translations of the decree of the king. The text was written in hieroglyphic, demotic, and Greek. With the many exchanges of power over Egypt, language also changed and some forms of writing died out. This document is one of the only existing translations of the ancient Egyptian language thanks to the Greeks. Though the information in the document itself is not of huge significance to the history of the ancient Egyptians, the translation into Greek has helped scholars unlock lost scripts of the ancient world. Without this key to the past, it would be almost impossible for archaeologists and other researchers to decipher other surviving documents and texts that appears on the walls of ancient tombs and other significant archaeological remains. Not knowing much about the language of the ancient Egyptians would leave many mysteries of the past unsolved. If not for the Greeks and their contribution to the Rosetta Stone, a great deal of archaeological information would have been lost or misinterpreted. I believe that language and the role it plays in Egyptian archaeology has had a significant impact on the field of study and without it, the history of the ancient Egyptians would be completely skewed. I myself have seen the Rosetta Stone in person and it was astonishing to me to be standing in front of such an important piece of history. It is incredible to be able to experience such a great part of the past and get the full sense of its importance to the history of the world.