Ancient Egypt for Children

We’ve talked multiple times in class and on this blog how Ancient Egypt has captivated the modern imagination going back generations. Art, writing, and film around the world have been dedicated to or inspired by the ancient world with each year coming out with something new. One of the most popular children’s book series is by an author named Rick Riordan. Riordan writes about modern children living in a world that is still directed and influenced by the Ancient Gods of our past. The most popular series, Percy Jackson, is about a boy who learns his father is the God Poseidon and is forced to enter the world of demi-gods.

In his second series, Riordan takes on the Egyptian pantheon. One book in the Egyptian-based Kane Chronicle series, The Red Pyramid, tells the story of a brother and sister — Carter and Sadie Kane — who have lived apart most of their lives. One Christmas Eve, their father brings them both together for a trip to the British Museum, and a terrible, magical accident happens that unleashes the gods of ancient Egypt into the modern world. According to the author, “”Even if these stories are 3,000 years old, there’s still so much about the characters, about the dilemmas, about their understanding of the universe that still resonates. The whole idea of order and chaos, which is really central to the ancient Egyptian understanding of the world, is still very much with us.”

Many kids learn about the ancient mythologies during Junior High or similar schooling year. Rick Riordan, a middle school teacher once himself, wanted to give a more exciting twist to learning about the beliefs of our ancestors. He has written children’s series based on Greek, Roman, and Egyptian mythology and plans on releasing a book next year starting a series based on Norse mythology.

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/19/167547891/in-red-pyramid-kid-heroes-take-on-ancient-egypt

One thought on “Ancient Egypt for Children

1. When I first saw the title of your blog post, I thought I was going to be reading about the everyday life of children in Ancient Egypt which is something that I know very little about. However, I was pleasantly surprised however to find a post bringing up the importance of sharing older beliefs with children today. I haven’t read any of Riordan’s work personally, but I know lots of teens and pre-teens are enthralled with his stories. I believe that it is very important to share our beliefs with the next generations because big ideals don’t change rapidly. Due to this, wiser ancestors can share their knowledge about the world and educate the younger generations about the way the world works. I also believe that the quote you shared was spot on because it shows how Ancient Egyptian’s beliefs still resonate with us today.
    I think it is really cool how Riordan makes complex ideas about order and chaos more approachable for children to understand. Much like the work of authors like C.S. Lewis, Riordan makes fanciful stories with underlying ideas that make the readers really think about the world that they live in and how it related to the past.