Welcome to ANP455: Archaeology of Ancient Egypt

I’d like to take this opportunity to welcome everyone to the online version of ANP 455: Archaeology of Ancient Egypt.  This course will introduce students to one of the most fascinating societies in human history: ancient Egypt. The class will challenge students to explore the origins and fluorescence of the rich cultures of Egypt, ranging from the earliest foundations of the Egyptian state in the 5th century B.C. to the splendors of Roman Egypt under the rule of Cleopatra. By exploring case studies that highlight the extraordinary archaeological heritage of ancient Egypt, the course will focus students’ attentions on key anthropological concepts, such as kinship, ritual, political economy, mortuary practices, and cultural contact.

There are a few things that you need to do first before anytihng else:

1. Watch the Class Introduction Video (located in the Week 1 Schedule section of the course website).  This will give you a run down of everything we’ll be doing in the class.
  2. Create a Twitter (http://www.twitter.com) account and subscribe to my Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/captain_primate).  Remember to use the #anp455 hashtag for class stuff
  3. Create a Gravatar account (www.gravatar.com).  Remember to use your MSU email address
  4. Login to the course website – change your password and display name to your First Name + Last Name. If you don’t know how, check out the Tutorial Videos. You should receive an automatically generated email sent from matrix@msu.edu to your official MSU email address with login info.  NOTE: If you haven’t received this email by Monday, check your spam folder (if sometimes gets caught there). If it isn’t in your spam folder, email me ASAP.
  5. Be absolutely sure you look through the entire course website (especially, the About, Assignments & Grading, and Schedule sections).  If you have any questions, send me an email or comment on this post (which would be good because it means that everyone in the class would benefit from both the question and the answer)

PLEASE NOTE: If you registered for this class after Monday (July 2nd), you will not have received your invite email to the class blog. Please email me ASAP, and I’ll get you set up. Also, if you are having trouble accessing the course blog, email me ASAP.

I’m looking forward to working with you this semester.

This entry was posted in Official Course Announcements by Ethan Watrall. Bookmark the permalink.

About Ethan Watrall

An anthropological archaeologist who has worked in Canada, the United States, Egypt, and the Sudan, Ethan Watrall is Associate Professor in the Department of Anthropology at Michigan State University. He is Director of the Cultural Heritage Informatics Initiative and Director of the Digital Heritage Imaging & Innovation Lab (which is a partnership between the Department of Anthropology and The Lab for the Education and Advancement in Digital Research). Ethan is Head of Tangible Heritage & Archaeology Projects at Matrix: The Center for Digital Humanities & Social Sciences, where he served as Associate Director from 2009-2020. Ethan also serves as Adjunct Curator of Archaeology at the Michigan State University Museum.

Ethan’s scholarship focuses on the application of digital methods and computational approaches within archaeology and heritage. This focus expresses itself broadly in three domains: (1) publicly engaged digital heritage and archaeology; (2) digital documentation and preservation of tangible heritage and archaeological materials; and (3) building capacity and communities of practice in digital heritage and archaeology. The thematic thread that binds these domains together is one of preservation and access – leveraging digital methods and computational approaches to preserve and provide access to archaeological and heritage materials, collections, knowledge, and data in order to facilitate research, advance knowledge, fuel interpretation, and democratize understanding and appreciation of the past.

2 thoughts on “Welcome to ANP455: Archaeology of Ancient Egypt

1. Hello, this is Richelle (Rikki) Valkema. I’ve used this site before for another class and I am not sure how to go between classes since ANP 203 is still what appears on my dash board?

• when you are logged in, a grey admin bar should appear along the top of the blog (either when you are viewing the actual site or in the admin). In this bar, you’ll see a button that says My Sites. Click this and you’ll get a dropdown meny for all of the anp online class sites you’re a member of. You can use this to navigate between sites. Remember to make sure you are posting to the right course site.