If Modern Humans Are So Smart, Why Are Our Brains Shrinking?

Probably one of the coolest articles I’ve read in this course. Found this on Discover magazine also, enjoy!

http://discovermagazine.com/2010/sep/25-modern-humans-smart-why-brain-shrinking

Till now science had never noted the fact that if present day humans have superior intelligence as compared to our ancestor, why exactly are our brains shrinking? This question caught scientists off guard and left them totally baffled. It would seem to make sense that a larger brain has the capability to process things far more efficiently than a smaller brain. The article implied that for 2 million years of our evolution, our brains have been growing and now there is a reversal of growth which is causing our brains to shrink from its former size. ” Over the past 20,000 years, the average volume of the human male brain has decreased from 1,500 cubic centimeters to 1,350 cc, losing a chunk the size of a tennis ball. The female brain has shrunk by about the same proportion. “I’d call that major downsizing in an evolutionary eyeblink.”

This article relates to the class because we discussed how as humans evolved over time, it was proven that our brain size actually increased and our faces decreased. It is interesting to see how we are evolving now as modern humans. This article leaves many unanswered questions for the future. Can our brains actually be shrinking and getting smaller with every coming generation?

I really enjoyed the Discovery Magazine site because it provided me with a lot of interesting topics to choose from. It had many interesting articles on there such as this one and another article I posted before for one of my blogs.