More Evidence for Multiple Lines of Evolution in Our Genus Homo

Here is an interesting article from the New York Times website about the history of our Genus, Homo:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/science/new-fossils-indicate-offshoots-in-human-family-tree.html?ref=fossils

Recent fossil evidence shows that there was likely to be at least two other species of the Homo genus living at the same time as Homo erectus in east africa (about 2 million years ago). This is good evidence towards the view that the evolution of the homo genus is not so simple and straightforward as previously thought by some, but that there are multiple lines of evolution within our genus. I find it interesting how there is relatively little consensus between scientists as to our origins. It just goes to show that it is not easy to figure out what happened in the past.

2 thoughts on “More Evidence for Multiple Lines of Evolution in Our Genus Homo

1. Interesting story, yet I for a second wanted to see if there was additional branching from Homo sapiens, that would change the anthropology forever! Yet, numerous studies support that our species is a genetically stable one I do not see us becoming other species any time soon! Thanks for the article.

2. I posted a similar article and thought it was amazing how new species of genus homo are being discovered. I believe small steps like this are slowly uncovering the mystery of human evolution. Very interesting article