- The Lower Paleolithic
- Australopithecus africanus
- Paranthropus robustus
- Emergence of the Genus Homo: Homo Habilis
- Lower Paleolithic Tool Traditions: Olduwan, Acheulean, Clactonian
- Homo Erectus/Homo Ergaster
- The Middle Paleolithic
- Middle Paleolithic Tool Traditions: Mousterian & Aterian
Media (readings, video, etc)
- Reading: Understanding Humans: Introduction to Physical Anthropology and Archaeology, Chapter 10 [read]
- Reading: Understanding Humans: Introduction to Physical Anthropology and Archaeology, Chapter 11 [read]
- Video: The Dawn of Man
- Bonus Blog #3 Due (post due Friday by 5pm, response due Sunday by 5pm)
In order for a researcher to declare that they have discovered a new hominid species, they must have supporting evidence that withstands scientific scrutiny.
- Question part one: What are the categories of evidence (presented in the video and readings) that support the classification of any given species of hominid?
- Question part two: Find a media article (from a newspaper, magazine etc.) from the last few years that discusses the discovery of a new hominid species. What supporting evidence is provided in this article? How is it similar or different to the way the evidence is presented in your lecture material? Why you do think this is the case?
Your blog post should be at least 350 words. Your response to another post should be at least 200 words.
Remember: please be respectful and thoughtful in your blog as well as your response to another post (which, as always, is a required part of the assignment)