Human fossils unearthed from hualong cave in east anhui province

In this week the fossil hominin I would like to talk about is one human tooth and two piece of cranium which can be connected together. All this three fossil were founded in the hualong cave in east anhui province China.

There are also many fossil of  animal in hualong  cave most of them are Bos and Cervus, Stegodon, Rhinocerotidae, Tapirus, Ursus and other small carnivores are also have been founded in the cave. According to this fossil paleoanthropologists find the age of the cave was in the middle of the pleistocene, which means the date of the fossil is around 780-130ka.

The tooth has been perfectly saved, from endodontium to the top of the tooth. Their is nothing broke on the tooth except an tine enamel deficiency. Wear marks can be seen on the surface of each tooth tip, however, it is estimated that this tooth is a young individual based on the relatively light wear of the occlusal surface. The size of the crowns was significantly larger than that of early modern humans, modern humans and European middle pleistocene humans, and located in the variation range of homo erectus.

As for the craniums, both pieces of bone are pale yellow, deep petrified, thick, smooth and rich in nourishing holes. And two bones can perfectly connected together. At the back of the fragment, there were 44mm long coronal sutures, which were very clear and showed no signs of healing, which can also be deemed to a young individual. The skull also has a small frontal curvature, a thick temporal line and thick bone walls. In addition, the frontal bone  also has the structure of the middle frontal suture and enlarged frontal sinus.

Combined with the morphological characteristics revealed by the comparison of human frontal bones and teeth in hualong cave, the human fossils found in hualong cave may represent homo erectus living in the middle pleistocene.

citation:

Xicheng Gong, Longting Zheng, Song Xing, Xiujie Wu, Haowen Tong, Wu Liu. (August, 2014) Human fossils unearthed from hualong cave in east anhui province.Retried May 30, 2018, from :kns.cnki.net/KXReader/Detail?dbcode=CJFD&filename=RLXB201404002&uid=WEEvREcwSlJHSldTTEYzVnB3ZDE1V3k4M3B1dnI1Rk1lTFhYRlJvWnJvND0=$9A4hF_YAuvQ5obgVAqNKPCYcEjKensW4ggI8Fm4gTkoUKaID8j8gFw!!&tk=WEEvREcwSlJHSldTTEYzVnB3ZDE1V3k4M3B1dnI1Rk1lTFhYRlJvWnJvND0=$9A4hF_YAuvQ5obgVAqNKPCYcEjKensW4ggI8Fm4gTkoUKaID8j8gFw!!

2 thoughts on “Human fossils unearthed from hualong cave in east anhui province

1. I find your post very interesting, because I got to learn about fossils that have been discovered in China, which is really new to me. The details about the teeth structure of carnivore species were explained thoroughly, and I was able to understand what you were talking about. The comparison between morphological characteristics and human frontal teeth bones were something I got to learn, because I didn’t really have an idea about the details of dental structure. Adding to that, it’s interesting how it’s compared with carnivore species and us, which we are omnivores. For me, I talked about the hominid species, Au. afarensis, because I wanted to know more about them. A new fact that I researched about them is that the children of Au. afarensis had a faster growth rate than childrens in the modern days. Because of that, they couldn’t have parental guidance nor socialization during their childhood. Also, I found out about the culture, which it was the first creation of stone tools. This was the start of hominids using their brains to make tools to survive and hunt. Although the tools weren’t accurately discovered, they were all rigid and sharp, which made the paleoanthropologists determine that it was to pierce through animals to hunt. Anyways, I find your post very interesting and well-explained.

2. Thank you for your interesting post that I indeed enjoyed reading. I found your topic is fascinating because I did not know anything about this discovery before I read your post. The fossil hominin you wrote about was discovered in the place that is so close to my hometown. I believe you did thorough and scientific research on the fossil hominin, and the smooth explanation makes the post very interesting-stimulating and informative.

The background information that you provided about the fossil is very detailed and neat. The abundance of fossils of various categories shows the tremendous ecological group that used to dwell and reproduce on the land, which stimulates my interest in doing further research of the Hualong Cave.
    The description of the tooth and craniums parts are very entertaining and elaborate. I like how you describe the size, color, quality, and condition of the tooth in details then provide convincible evidence to support the conclusion that this fossil is from a young individual.

I noticed that you mentioned the size of the crowns was significantly larger than that of many other kinds of humans including early modern humans, modern humans, and European Middle Pleistocene humans. This striking difference makes me wonder to what extent did their living habits, food, the way of eating differ. I believe more in-depth research on the small frontal curvature, the thick temporal line, and bone walls may reveal more interesting facts about the human beings that used to live in that particular area.