WEEK6

From the middle of the Paleolithic period beginning 245,000 years ago, there were many glaciers. During this time there were three major ice ages; Wolstonian (325-130 KA), Wurm Interglacial (130-114 KA) and Weichsalim (110-11 KA). These glacial periods not only shaped the earth at that time, but also changed the living habits of any living organisms that lived on Earth at that time, including early primitive humans. During this period, Neanderthals appeared. The Neanderthals appeared in Europe about 6.3 million years ago. These early species had more social organization and were able to develop better hunting and gathering techniques such as smoking and hanging meat so that they could last longer. The Neanderthals also developed different stone tools, of which there are two new traditions. The first is the Mousterian, which is mainly used by Neanderthals in Europe, North Africa and the East. This set of tools has been used since 30,000 years ago and is bifocal. The other is the Aterian, which was found on the North Atlantic coast between the Oasis of Calgar and the western edge of the Nile. These tools are a bit different because they have an oblique shot point. This handle allows the tool to be fixed to something such as a wooden shaft.
The late Paleolithic period was marked by the last glaciers maximum, which was the last glacial period on Earth and the coldest glacial period. The time was 24,500-17,000 B.C. During this time, if not all Neanderthals had died, the anatomically modern person had only primitive human beings. It was during this time that there were four instrumental traditions: Aurignacian, Gravettian, Solutrean, and Magdalenian. These tools are mainly made of bones. The flint tools they use are blade shaped. Next is the Gravettian tool for most hunting. Neanderthals use this tool to hunt animals such as reindeer and even mammoths.
In short, not only lifestyles and the environment are changing, but the tradition of stone tools is also changing. The traditional evolution of these stone tools can prove that people live better and better. In terms of tool technology, it shows that tools change with the survival of species. Their tools in the late Paleolithic period were more advanced and modern than the medium-term, allowing them to hunt larger animals. The tradition of these stone tools can easily show people’s development, which can help us learn more and learn more from these traditions.

3 thoughts on “WEEK6

1. I thought it was interesting that the anatomically modern humans had developed so much socially , also the Neanderthals were a lot smarter then I realized. It is interesting to see that they had the brain capacity to develop stone tools, because in society people act like the Neanderthals were not smart. It would be interesting to learn more about why they started the tradition of burring their dead with flowers. I t would be cool to learn about what religious like beliefs they had or started at that time, Just besides concentrating mainly on the stone tools. The stone tool I thought was most interesting was the Solutrean. To be honest I just liked the shape of it, but it was interesting to see how their technology was developing. I think the flaking techniques they used was very interesting. I was wondering how they come up with the idea to flake the stone in the first place. In the lecture it said that it helped to better control the shaft that the stone is on. It would be cool to see more of a development of each tool that they used, more of like a trial and error just to see their thought process.

2. I thought it was so interesting how we see the development of anatomically modern humans through the course of these few lectures. I like how you said at the end that in technology, tools change with the survival of species. I thought this way too when I wrote my post. In the Upper Paleolithic period, we really see how humans developed socially because of the third point and characteristic that defined the upper Paleolithic. It says that they had an increasing complexity of social organization because of their long distance trade of exotic raw materials. I also really liked how you talked more about the last glacial maximum because I forgot to mention that in most post. I don’t know if it was said or not in the lecture but I was wondering why they used bones to make their tools in the upper Paleolithic instead of making their tools out of stone like in the recent Paleolithic periods. Of course, I can see why they would because the development of their tools is also developing with the needs of the species but I was wondering if there was another reason. I also don’t know if these would be considered more advanced because I was thinking that bone breaks easier than stone would. I could also be incorrect with this information. Overall, great post!

3. I think the most interesting part about this week’s material was the blatant correlation of intelligence with evolution. Not only did the stone tools become more technical, but the rate at which we improved our tools grew exponentially. Furthermore, with the rapid development of tools came the development of the key components of intelligent life forms such as communication, culture and the previously stated rapid development of tools. It’s evident by the existence of homo sapiens and the extinction of Neanderthals that intelligence and not sheer physicality proves beneficial in surviving. However, it’s interesting to think about what life potentially could have been like if neanderthals had survived. Would current societal issues be about species discrimination? How would tools be developed differently? What would our market look like? This may be something interesting to think about when on a long car ride.