After this week’s lecture, I have more understanding about the Neolithic and its relative terms. Neolithic is basically the time period after the Paleolithic, which is also known as “New Stone Age”. Initially, I thought it is unnecessary to have another time period if they all based on same tools. Because they are both Stone-tooled based community, which kind of confused me. Later on, I realized that there are many differences between two time period. First of all, during the time of Neolithic, people start having a year-round settlement to live, instead of walking around every day. Secondly, they start having domestication, which means they start having husbandry. Last and which is the most important one, agriculture. Due to unknown reasons, people who live in that time period started to grow crops and obtain their food from them.
In my opinion, I think the emergence of agriculture DID lead to the rise of the state. This is because before, during the time of Upper Paleolithic, people only have their food source from the wild animals and maybe some wild vegetable. However, during the time of Neolithic, they started growing their own crops, which make them start to get more food. This actually helped them to support their needs to breed more children. As the population increases in a “family”, they can have the more human resource for labor, which turned out that they are able to do more work and things. And, eventually, formed a state.
As I mentioned before, agriculture is one of the big things that contribute to forming the state. Other characteristics that appear in Neolithic such as Domestication could also be one of the reason as well. But one big question is, how would they think of starting agriculture and domestication. During the upper Paleolithic, they have their ability to obtain enough food for them to survive by hunting. My guessing is that maybe they obtain too much meat as their main meal, which caused them having some health problem. And someone accidentally found out that vegetable can help them balance their meal in order to make them healthier. Therefore, they start to grow crops and making new tools to harvest these crops, which cause the emergence of the agriculture.
To identify the emergence of agriculture, archaeologists found the existence of animals and material culture such as stone tools that used in agriculture. For example, grinding stones and the sickles are the most identical tools for agriculture. As soon as they found out about the existence of agriculture in Neolithic. They also discovered the state at that time period bu different building and culture. Although the evidence to the agriculture and the state are different, one can easily know that they have a strong relationship with each other due to that they both appeared in the same time period.

One thought on “Week 7 Blog Post

1. Hi! Hsiang-Yu, I thought you did a good job. I think you bring an interesting opinion that how human start to agriculture. You mentioned that human started to care about their health. At the first time, human did not eat the vegetable and only ate the meat, they noticed they will be more healthy when they eat the vegetable, so they started to planted their own vegetables and domestic the animals. Also, in my opinion, there may have another reason, at that time the environment changed and the temperature was increased, those natural factors may force the human to found and required more food. That environment changed forced the human life together and help each other, so the population of the village may be increased. Second, why the state is raised. I thought that people have enough food and basic life requires, they have more desires than before, so they started to compare with other people. The only thing they can compare with each other was Agriculture, so during this process, the technologies are improved. When more new technologies are created, more people can produce more foods and trade with other people. At this time the small state was built up. However, I learned new knowledge from your blog, and gain some new ideas. Well done.