Yes, I believe the emergence of agriculture eventually led to the rise of the state. If I were to talk about the cultural developments that led to the emergence of agriculture, they would be the animals, material culture, food resources, and architecture. On the other hand, if I were to talk about the cultural developments that led to the rise of the state, they would be the irrigation, urbanization, technology and trade, and warfare. For the emergence of agriculture, primary evidence and secondary evidence were used as archaeological materials, while the architectures that have been still preserved until now are used as archaeological materials for the rising of states. The difference between the emergence of agriculture and the rising of the state is that the rising of state has become more of a complex society and had an empire, while the emergence of agriculture was all about domesticated animals, expanding sedentary populations, and the climate change.

At the emergence of agriculture, two things have caused a major change to the human society. The first one is the domestication of animals. When people settled into a semi-sedentary life, they were naturally forced into close association with animals. That’s when goats, sheep, and dogs were domesticated. The other one is the expanding sedentary population. The place where people settled have expanded and turned into a society since people started to settle in one place, populations expanded and resources for food and the capacity of the environment have been more required.

At the rising of states, there were four theories that have been the evidence of the emergence of ancient states, which were irrigation, urbanization, technology and trade, and warfare. The irrigation is known to be the major factor when it comes to the rise of complex ancient states. The concept of urbanization was claimed by an archaeologist; he said that the start of agriculture was followed by urban revolution. Technology and trading, and warfare were things that have led to state formation, and the progress has been steadily growing and is still happening now.

As a conclusion, both emergences of agriculture and rising of ancient states were the beginnings of Neolithic. Those were what created a society, government, worldwide trading, and art. However, the two concepts are differentiated by their detailed theories and characteristics. Through these lectures and readings, I was able to learn the ending of the Paleolithic, and the beginning of the Neolithic.

One thought on “Week 7 Blog Post

1. I like your post, you talked a lot of stuff about the agriculture and the state. Those things are just fine enough to illustrate your point. Like what you said in your post, I agree that the emergence of agriculture eventually led to the rise of the state. What is the foundation of life? What comes into my mind isn’t something like air, light or something like strength. There was enough air in the past, that is undoubtedly. So, what is the basic factor for living? I think the answer is food. The emergence of agriculture is a method, or emergence of new life period. Human beings in that time did not need to follow a hunting-gathering society which means there would be less people died from hunting animals. There was always being a risk of hunting big animals such as mammoths. I think the emergence of agriculture helped human beings to rise the state. They needed a place to cultivate plants, a place to keep their domesticated animals. That is not only about the rise of state, that is about the rise of humanities. Just think how incredible that our ancestors had evolved from the first place where they lived on the tree. For the rise of state, there are four theories about the rise of state. All these four theories are based on agriculture, so the emergence of agriculture is the key point. But what was real? We just need more evidences to help us understand what truly happened at that time. This is a great post, you talked everything that you need to tell us.