Before I read about the week 7 lectures, I have already known the importance of the emergence of agriculture. Agriculture is the cultivation of domesticated animals, plants, and fungi for food, fiber, and other products. Horticulture for plants, animal husbandry for animals. I think agriculture is the most important for human to raise the state or become more modern. In my opinion, I think to raise the state, people need to improve the civilization. Without any agriculture, we are not able to improve our culture, so that I think the emergence of agriculture eventually led to the rise of the state.

For civilization, is a type of social system or culture that share a variety of characteristics. Those characteristics are urban, agriculture, specialization, stratification, and state authority. From my point of view to lead to the emergence of agriculture, specialization and stratification will be very important. Spreading the knowledge of agriculture and farming led to the growth of civilization. People are able to have stable food supply to change the way people lived, even become better. People need to farm for producing more food production. Additionally, for raising the state, developing the technology is the most important I think. Without any technology, we cannot do anything we want. Technology brings us more convenient lifestyle with saving more materials and time. For example, stone tools for the ancient human. Ancient human used stone tools to farm, to build the house, and hunt. Stone tools were all handmade to make their life more convenient, so that stone tools are kind of technology for raising the state. For state authority, which is the state system of decision making power and ability to enforce decisions, is not very related to the rise of the state. Because I think a good authority depends on a good living system or we can say government.

There is a relationship between the emergence of agriculture and the rise of the state. Ancient human used to use wooden plow and harrow to farm. In addition, irrigation is important as well. Without irrigation, farmers will not have good food products. Therefore, if the ancient human has the good emergence of agriculture, the rise of the state will be obvious. We can say that the rise of the state increase with the emergence of agriculture. Urbanization is also related to the rise of the state, like making cities (maybe villages) more modern for human, so that the lifestyle will improve a lot, and war will decrease.

One thought on “Week 7 Blog Post

1. For sure, I really like your post. The reason is that you have pointed out lots of point about the relationship between agriculture and the rise of the state. You have lots of well-proven examples which is perfectly fix to the agriculture. As you said, “For civilization, is a type of social system or culture that share a variety of characteristics. Those characteristics are urban, agriculture, specialization, stratification, and state authority.” You have connected agriculture and civilization. I think that is a very special point. For myself, when I was doing my post, I have never thought about the relationship between agriculture and civilization. The point I focused on is the relationship between agriculture and the rise of the state.
    Another thing I want to talk about is you have said that “Ancient human used to use wooden plow and harrow to farm. In addition, irrigation is important as well. Without irrigation, farmers will not have good food products.” You have also focused on the ways about how farmers doing their agriculture. The way you have mentioned out is the really important part of our life. You can connect all the information together which is very professional. That is the reason why I like your post so much.