Week Seven Blog Post

Based on the passage,  my  beliefs towards the emergence of agriculture is said to have led to the rise of the states. As the closing of the ice age begins to diminish, and the temperature and sea levels slowly rises, the planet, and its organisms die off. A large group of animals including mammals and cave bears rapidly started to become extinct. Plants, also being included in this section started to die off. With that being said modern humans had to adjust to the new changes being made. Which brings us to domestication. Modern Humans started to domesticate animals and plants. They did it to fit their desires and need. With modern humans doing that it cause for a better population. With more food being in one area individuals didn’t have to travel so much and they cold stay put in one area. With individuals staying put in one area it caused for the population to grow and with the increase it caused power to come into play. This plays a part in the rise of the states. With huge populations coming into play environments had to be controlled. Another thing that comes in play is trade. Not everybody in different areas could grow the same things as others. So different groups began to trade.

The emerge of agriculture was identified through heavy tools or large tools. An example would be sickle used for plants or grinders used for wheat.With the emerge of agriculture it helped with tool development. Most of these tools are still in use in today’s time. When it comes to the emergence of agriculture and the rise of the state it was an achievement. Not only did they improve their ways they found a new way of living. When it came to the emerge of agriculture it advanced in number, individuals became more intelligent in what they were doing. They found a better  way of living, leading to the rise of states. With the rise of states it keep communities in order and manage what they were doing and how. To this day we still use the system even if its in a different way.  The emerge of agricultral and the rise of states both corlate with each other. One lead to the other becoming more complex. The emerge of agriculture kind of force the rise of states into play. Leading to a tradition that is carried on through many years.

4 thoughts on “Week Seven Blog Post

1. First of all, I think you did a good job; your post is very interesting and professional. However, there are some questions that I want to discuss with you. There are a lot of details about the ice age extinction in the first paragraph, and I found it interesting. I wonder, is that a real history or is it just a hypothesis? If it is from the resources that you found on the internet, would you mind putting the link below your post? I really like to know more about it. As you describe in your post, “the planet, and its organisms die off”; and a lot of animals and (maybe just some, but you did not indicate in your post, so it could be all) plants are started to die off; however, if it is real, how could human ancestors survival under the harsh environment, and how could they agriculture if plants are started to die off? And to be honest, I don’t think powder came into play until early human ancestors stay in one area; in my opinion, power is already there even when them were still travel and hunting around, because the differences among individuals cause the different positions in hunting, leaders, followers and so on. But after all, these just my opinion and I would love to discuss with you about Neolithic revolution. All in all, your post is very interesting and you did a god job.

2. What you said in the beginning is true, with the significant change in the environment, the organisms that could not adapt to the change died off. However, right as you developed this point, you talked about the domestication of animals without really connecting the previous point to it. Can you clarify what the association between the change in environment with man’s domestication of animals and plants? Personally, I believe that the domestication of animals came from advancing farming techniques where animals were used both to help farm as well as be farmed to be used as food and resources. I do agree with how you end your first paragraph talking about how the rise of permanent settlements, specialization and trade led to the rise of the state. I think we can both agree that for a state to be established, it needs a mass amount of wealth in both material and human resources. Thus, the evolution of man to higher intelligence is what I would say is the ultimate reason for the rise of the state, since higher intelligence led to advanced tool development, farming techniques and social order that allowed communities to amass large amounts of both material and human resources.

3. I wrote about a lot of the same things this week that you did. One thing that I learned this week and found particularly interesting was the ability for archaeologists to look at a blade, in particular scythes, and be able to tell that is was used primarily and repeatedly for the harvesting of grain by connecting the wear on the scythe’s blade with silica found in the grains, like wheat, being harvested.
    To add on to what you were saying towards the end of your first paragraph, I also think it vary plausible that has the populations of groups of humans began growing, they probably needed a more reliable method of feeding themselves than going out hunting and gathering and hoping they found enough food for everyone. With the advent of agriculture, they could grow and raise their food relativity reliably compared to finding it.
    I was thinking the same thing as I was reading the middle of your last paragraph where you said that we still use the same state system. Although in our modern day it has becoming more bloated with bureaucracy, our modern states still operate in roughly the same way as ancient states when you considered the centralized group collecting taxes and being the central planner in the improvement of the lives of citizens and their defenses.

4. Hi there!
    First, I wanted to say that your post was very well written and had a lot of great information. In the beginning you talked about the domestication of animals and plants and then trade. I found that the beginning of agriculture was a very interesting time. In my own post, I mentioned that hunting and gathering was a lifestyle based on chance, whereas growing your own plants and animals wasn’t. What I mean by that is you had to follow animals around and track them to even get a chance at a kill. There are several factors that could prevent you from actually getting your meal- such as weather, natural formations, and even your own mistakes (as in spooking off a heard of animals). With plants it was the same way. While following animals, there were varied chances of what plants you would find to eat in different areas. Growing your own plants and raising your own animals meant that you always could have food if you did your job correctly. With agriculture came larger groups of people staying in one area, and then trade came. I also think the emergence of states was due to the fact that some regulation had to be put on trade, or rules had to be made. Also, the tools that were found that showed the emergence of agriculture were fascinating to me, as many of the tools that they used back then we do now- just very advanced versions. Overall, both the rise of the states and emergence of agriculture work hand in hand to becoming a more complex / higher advanced society overall.