This week, we’re going to be adding another tool to our exploration of the story of us – Archaeology. We’ll talk about archaeologists do and what archaeology can tell us about the human past. We’ll also take a look at some of the common misconceptions about archaeology. Finally, we’ll take a loot at the difference between archaeology and paleoanthropology, discussing what each has to offer to the story of us.
- Lecture 4.1. What is Archaeology?
- Lecture 4.2. Common Misconceptions about Archaeology
- Lecture 4.3. Connecting Paleoanthropology and Archaeology in the Story of Us
Media (readings, video, etc)
- PDF 4.1. Fossils, Cities, and Civilizations
- PDF 4.2. Understanding the Past: Archaeological and Paleoanthropological Methods
- Video 4.1. Archaeology: A Journey into the Past from the Archaeology Channel *Read the introduction on the website and view the film
- Week 4 Exam (available on D2L from June 6 at 9:00am EST and must be completed by Saturday June 10 at 11:59pm EST)
- Week 4 Blog Post (due June 8 by 11:59pm EST). Prompt: Part 1: What did you know about archaeology prior to this course? Did you learn anything new about archaeology from our lectures, readings, and videos this week? Part 2: What are the similarities and differences between paleoanthropology and archaeology? Be sure to select the Week 4 Blog Post category
- Week 4 Blog Comments (due Sunday June 10 by 11:59pm EST.