Optional Introduction Post – S.S.

My name is Savannah Sass and I am an anthropology major, as well as a Bioethics and Humanities (and Peace and Justice) minor. This upcoming school year will be my fourth year at Michigan State….I can’t wait to graduate in the spring! I am from Downriver, Michigan, which is about 15min outside of Detroit. When I’m not up to my eyeballs in homework and work, I love to take naps, watch Criminal Minds, go kayaking, and travel. A fun fact about me is that I have a pet snake named Maverick (Ricky for short), and that I just recently got back from an archaeological dig in Italy. In addition to forensics, I also love studying medical anthropology; with the help of this course, I hope to learn more about global gendered health disparities and contextualize issues such as low birth weight within a network that examines the full effect of intersectionality. I look forward to the rest of this semester!

2 thoughts on “Optional Introduction Post – S.S.

1. Hey Savannah!

That’s awesome that you went to Italy. I had a bunch of friends in the anthropology department who go on that trip every year. Did you get to work with Mari and Elena? They’ve told me some great things about the field school, and I’m glad you got to experience it.
    We will definitely be talking about intersectionality, it actually gets its own week within the course. We’ll also be talking about maternal and child health in the third week. I don’t believe we’ll be talking about things as specific as low birth rate causes, but if this is a passion of yours I would suggest looking at Dr. Masako Fujita’s work here at MSU. If you don’t know she’s a medical anthropologist that focuses specifically on correlations between infant health and mother’s breastfeeding. She’s also always looking for people to help in the lab, so if you want to add some more stuff to your CV she might be a good place to start.

• Hi Livy,

Funny you should mention Dr. Fujita, I actually worked in her lab a couple years ago as an assistant…she’s fantastic!

And yes, I did work a bit with Mari and Elena. I might actually be diving into some more forensics-based research with them this upcoming school year. I can’t wait to get started and have some more hands-on experience with Dr. Fenton’s lab. Grad school is just around the corner…

Really excited for the rest of this semester, great to meet you!