Week 3: Blog Post

Part I:

There are different cultural beliefs when it comes to the birth and death in different countries. Some countries prefer to use medical and mechanical way to take care of infants, for example, most people in the Western medicine system would like to choose this way. Other countries prefer to take care of their infants under the private circumstance(home). In this week’s study, we found that the Netherlands, Inuit and Vietnam mostly have their preference for home births and home care. But we can also found that most of American chose institutional births rather than home births. In the Article, The Inuit Way: A Guide to Inuit Culture(Pauktuutit, 2006), it discussed that childborn represents an important descendant of a family. They think that a new life brings the soul of a recently deceased relative. Most of their experiences about childborn from their mother and mother-in-law, which is women who have their experience about childbirth. The education and training about medicine using until childbirth is lack of development in their communities. We need to know that there are health centers and healthcare system have been built and setted up in Inuit. In the Article, they also showed that the medical systems of births have been developed and introduce people’s knowledge about institutional births in hospital. In the Netherlands, They think that the way women birth their children are connected closely with nature and their health system is very good to help young mothers and infants in their hospital or home. According to the data analysis in the article, New figures from the Netherlands on the safety of home births(de Jonge A et al, 2009), 60% of women choose to do their child born at home instead of 31% of women choose the other way to do their childborn. To do their childborn at home is their usually do in their tradition. Right now they also developed their health centers and systems to help more family about childborn.In this little film, The Mountain Midwives of Vietnam(Ahlmark et al, 2011), it showed a rural woman in Vietnam is hard for them to find resources and help from a healthcare system. In their nation, Hmong people also do their childborn at home. In the film, it also showed that women need to ask their husbands for permission to go outside. The tradition in the village is very serious about pregnant women. The sociality in their understanding put the importance of a baby beyond the importance of a mother.  Midwives are important in Vietnam, they mostly do childborn at home and they are far away from an institutional hospital to help them.

In the United States, the healthcare systems and hospital build an integrated system about women’s pregnancy. For me, I noticed that there are many courses and doctors in different fields to help pregnant women before, during and after their childbirth. The basis understanding about an institutional birth is their tradition and they won’t choose to do home birth unless it is necessary. 

Part II:

Part II:
This photo is I find in the Google and it shows a pregnant woman doing a B-scan ultrasonography in a hospital or a fertility clinic. This picture reminds me of the management of pregnant women’s health and disease prevention in Western medical systems. When my niece is pregnant, she did one B-scan ultrasonography once a month to ensure the health of the fetus. At the same time, her doctor will explain the state of the fetus and some dietary and customary precautions. Personally, I think this picture describes a real situation when a American pregnant woman to do when she needs to do during pregnancy.

Reference:

De Jonge A., et al.,. (2009). New Figures from the Netherlands on the Safety of Home Births. An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.

UNFPAasia. (2011, April 27). The Mountain Midwives of Vietnam. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F1dmcJTd9UPauktuutit Inuit Guide to Culture.(2006). The Inuit Way: A Guide to Inuit Culture.

Pauktuutit Inuit Guide to Culture.(2006). The Inuit Way: A Guide to Inuit Culture. 

One thought on “Week 3: Blog Post

1. Although we all read the same articles, it is always interesting to see what we each make of these videos and articles individually. Qinnan, one of the key aspects of your writing in part one that I thoroughly resonated with was your ability to consistently make comparisons between with the Western world as a central figure when looking at Vietnam, Netherlands, and The Inuit respectively. You managed to outline the conditions in each respective country and why the aspects were beneficial or negatively effecting the respective nation correspondingly. One question this makes me inclined to ask then becomes, which style of birth giving do you deem appropriate and why would you incorporate this style? Another point of view I am willing to offer is that I would probably incorporate multiple aspects from these various styles when considering the effort of giving birth. Statistics from UNICEF show that while Vietnam have a relatively lower fertility rate, their mortality rate is far less as well. Furthermore, for the Netherlands these statistics can be seen to be flipped, as their under-5 mortality rank is as low as 170 and their mortality rate is seen as 4 respectively.