Blog Post 6

Societal culture impacts, defines, and helps construct feminine beauty. With culture being as important as it is to humans, it’s impossible to not consider beauty culture (Lecture 6.1). Whether it’s foot binding starting at age 3, or female genital cutting, there is a culture that defines feminine beauty. In some cultures, not circumcising your daughter is condemning her to a lonely life of isolation, away from her peers and away from potential lovers. The function of these practices is simply to please men and unfortunately, it’s put an idea in many women’s heads that they must be circumcised. Women feel the need to conform to these ideas based on culture from their ancestors, and for religious reasons.

Foot binding can start as early as age three (Footbinding). From the onset girls are taught to be obedient and the practice of footbinding molds them. They’re taught, “…footbinding would make me more marriageable and therefore bring me closer to the greatest joy in a woman’s life- a son” (Footbinding). Culturally speaking it’s been like this for Chinese women for a while. It’s something that’s passed down from generation to generation, and mothers will fashion the shoes for their daughters. Footbinding proves, “to my perspective in-laws od my personal discipline and my ability to endure the pain of childbirth, as well as whatever misfortunes might lie ahead” (Footbinding). This leaves a good impression and can be the difference maker when searching for a husband. It’s important to impress the future mother-in-law. In addition, smaller feet are desirable in the bedroom and proved a girl would be faithful to her husband. “My feet would be something that would hold my husband’s fascination during the most private and intimate moments between a man and a woman” (Footbinding). Women who bound their feet also symbolized wealth. Throughout the 19th, and early 20th century missionaries tried to get rid of footbinding but proved unsuccessful. The culture there was too strong and many girls continued despite reasons to stop. Ultimately through the rise of communism Chinese society was changed and this practice has been mostly left behind. The construct that defined how women’s feet should look is outlawed and many women were able to go about and still find husbands.

Female genital cutting (FGC) is a common practice among certain cultures. In the united states it’s seen as taboo and uncommon. However, in some states across the world it’s a must. FGC has a lot of connections to the social world. Women feel shame and want to change the way their genitals look based on a constructed idea that Is pleasing to men. FGC also has a lot of connections to religious expression. It’s important to note it didn’t start out having religious connections but culture has determined it does. Lynda Newland writes ,“If you’re muslim you must be circumcised, because circumcision is the direction given by Islam” (Female circumcision: Muslim identities and zero tolerance policies in rural West Java). Islam put’s a heavy emphasis and even doubles down. Newland continues on saying, “If children aren’t circumcised, they’re not permitted to participate in the prayers at the mosque” (Female circumcision: Muslim identities and zero tolerance policies in rural West Java). In terms of religion, specifically Islam, FGC has a huge function where it’s practiced.

Aside from religion the constructed social pressures also create function for FGC. Circumcision is viewed as cleaner and even a rite of passage for women in some societies. The idea is that many girls go through with it because if not they’ll bring shame to themselves and their family (Lecture 6.1). A cut woman is also considered more sexually pleasing to some and there is this idea out there that not circumcising your daughter is doing her a disservice and throwing her life away because her genitals are not aesthetically pleasing to the eye. While I like to (try to) keep a cultural relativistic approach I can’t help but think this is wrong. My counter point is that these types of changes, which are constructed, aren’t good and a change of culture would be better. 1 in 10 girls died due to injection just to have smaller feet (Lecture 6.1). With the change of policy regarding footbinding women were still able to exist. On the other hand, outlawing FGC might not change anything. Lynda Newland writes, “For many Indonesians, such a ruling could come as a shock, because taking their moral responsibilities as a parent seriously come lead to a confrontation with the law” (Female circumcision: Muslim identities and zero tolerance policies in rural West Java). Parents would still seek out the procedure because these ideas are deeply rooted in their society. 21-year-old Rosie from the UK booked herself an operation to “fix” her labia because “she had been picked on about it” (The perfect vagina) her sister told guys about it and they would break up with Rosie over it. When asked about the perfect vagina Lisa Rogers had this to say, “not too much hair, lips tucked in, not too tight, not too baggy – I don’t know”. These practices function well in defining feminine beauty which blows my mind because even a woman, Lisa Rogers, doesn’t know what her genitalia should look like.

Newland, Lynda. “Female Circumcision: Muslim Identities and Zero Tolerance Policies in Rural West Java.” Women’s Studies International Forum, vol. 29, no. 4, 2006, pp. 394–404., doi:10.1016/j.wsif.2006.05.005.

“The Perfect Vagina.” Vimeo, 9 Aug. 2019, vimeo.com/groups/145051/videos/4704237.

See, Lisa. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Bloomsbury Publishing, 2014.