Activity Post Week 7

As the name suggests, I got to learn more about health issues especially the ones that are related to women. I am able to analyze the interrelation between cultural models of medicine and gender in different parts of the world. Also, I got to learn more about biomedicine system in my chosen country from different perspectives such as feminist theory, epidemiology theory and evolutionary theory. I definitely learn a lot from this class especially through the interesting and informative documentary from each week course materials. I enjoyed seeing how different cultures across the world shape the laws, the belief and the understanding of a certain health issue in a society. On top of that, it makes me think on how it probably would have been different for me if I were born in a different setting with a totally different culture.

I personally think that the topic discussed in Week 5 which is about ‘Intersectionality of Gender, Ethnicity, Sexuality, and Class’ is the most interesting as it was the first time I encountered an issue regarding changing someone’s race. Being able to have an intellectual discussion about it helps me to gain a better understanding on the issue without being judgmental. In my opinion, this course is very beneficial for everyone and it can be improved by incorporating current issues or any taboo topic regarding women and health. Thus, people can have a better knowledge about a certain topic that is considered taboo by having intellectual discussions instead of avoiding to talk about it at all.

One thought on “Activity Post Week 7

1. I like your suggestion! I think they do include more controversial topics in the fall course, but we could work in trying to get some more controversial topics into the course for discussion. I really enjoyed having you in the class, and I wish you luck in the fall!