Week 7 Activity Post

This is one of the most interesting and beneficial courses that I’ve taken during my college career thus far. I really enjoyed the course and learning others perspectives over the topics we’ve discussed in this class. I’ve gained a new perspective about biomedicine in America, health in women overall and health in women in different countries as well. 

In particular, I enjoyed learning about the rite of passage and rituals that counties have implemented in their culture. I never really thought about how the traditions in America can be considered rituals such as funerals, birthdays, and weddings. I also found it interesting the process and transitions of the rite of passage.

Another topic I enjoyed learning about is childbirth. As I was researching and studying the country India (the country I’ve chosen to focus on during this course) I learned about the disparities women in India suffer compared to the women in America. I never really thought much about how good we have it here while others in different countries don’t have the same resources and access. This not only caused me to be more aware but to also understand the country more and why it is that way and how it affects women in similar countries. I also learned about authoritative knowledge and how women have very little say-so during their pregnancy and childbirth. Also, I found it interesting about how women in India compared to women in America prefer natural home births. But it’s also because of the limited resources and access to better health care rural India has. In addition to rituals where they usually have midwives during labor. I also like how the Netherlands’s health care system is set up, especially for women. It shows they really care and want the best for mothers and babies. They let the women in the Netherlands choose their preference of birth and provide resources and access to health care.

A couple things I think that could improve the course is incorporating current topics in women’s health that are rising in other countries. Also I like how you added some controversial and underrepresented topics such as FGC, adding in similar topics as that would be great.

Overall, you did a wonderful job instructing this class and I appreciate the time you took to provide feedback on posts. I like the use of WordPress, the class was organized, the time frame of assignments was great and I like how fast you were with announcements and putting in grades. Thank you for a great summer session!

One thought on “Week 7 Activity Post

1. Aw! Thank you, I really enjoyed having you in the class and I really appreciate your voice on our class blog, and I’m glad that you enjoyed the course so much.