Blog post 7

Breast cancer had been a health issue especially among women despite the geographical differences. It is does not matter if it in developed countries or in developing countries. I think many people aware of breast cancer. This is because known how big the “mainstream” of the mainstream breast cancer culture is. While reading the article by Ley (2009), the topic about corporate involvement and the pink ribbon really intrigue me. This is because it can be both weakness and also strength of this mainstream breast cancer culture. 

Having the cooperate involve in this breast cancer awareness actually help to gain more profit which equal to more fund for the breast cancer. There are many fundraising events that conducted to collect funding. We see many events like breast cancer run especially in October and we see many people did participate in the event and help to raise awareness of the breast cancer. However, based on this week film that provided “Pink Ribbon, Inc.”, most of the money raised under the campaign are focuses more on awareness and lifestyle changes instead of primary prevention. We are similar with the phrase “prevent is better than cure”. Therefore, I believe it would be better if the funding is spending on how to prevent instead of how to cure the disease.

When it comes to breast cancer, the color pink will always come to our mind. Breast cancer and pink ribbon had been associates so much that people aware of it. Ley (2009) mention in her article that “The public at large has embraced the symbol, with many concerned citizens attaching them to lapels, backpacks, cars, and other personals belongings”. However, some critics believe that due to the pastel pink color, it is “reeks of feminization and infantilization that belittle women and lead to political complacency” (Ley,2009). Moreover, it is also mention in the articles, it is more focusing on early detection and treatment instead of prevention. Yet again, I still belief that prevent is better than cure.

To compare it with the eco-feminist view, I think they both, eco-feminist and mainstream breast cancer culture, have the same goal. However, the way that they approach thing it different. Both of the side focus on the breast cancer health issue but, when it comes to the mainstream breast cancer culture, they more focus on the cure and treatment of the diseases. As for the eco-feminist, they are more focuses more on environmental issues that lead to breast cancer where they investigate the cause of why a person able to get this disease. Therefore, I think by working together and share the same goal, they might able to fight towards prevention and a cure of this disease.

Ley, B. L. (2009). From pink to green: Disease prevention and the environmental breast cancer movement. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.    

2 thoughts on “Blog post 7

1. Hi Atiah,

I agree that campaigns do help bring awareness about breast cancer but it also helps to shift the attitudes people have towards it. Sometimes it helps change perceptions of people who don’t know much about breast cancer although it is a well-known disease which is a strength the breast cancer mainstream possess. However, it can shift people’s attitudes to be negative towards the disease as well. For instance in the section Pink Ribbon in Ley’s article, she talks about companies pinkwashing which is a term similar to greenwashing. Some people may feel as if companies advocate for breast cancer and create pink ribbon gimmicks to help boost their image and use it as an advantage to increase their own profits (Ley 118-119). This is a flaw that breast cancer culture has. I think these are important factors to mention when talking about breast cancer mainstream.

I agree with you also that most of the money that is donated goes to research on how to cure the disease (like you mentioned in your blog post), technology and medicine. I really do think they should focus more on how to prevent the diease. This will help us understand breast cancer and other cancers from a different persepctive that we have not examined yet.

Do you feel as if the people who study research will start to look at other factors that play a role into cancer such as environmental factors in the near future?

2. I agree that both campaigns have the same goal though their thought process in approaching it is just different. However, I do not think that they would be able to work together because of the vast difference in eco-feminists and mainstream culture’s viewpoints. If there are so many divisions now what would bring them together to a point that would work? I am not sure if there will ever be one. But, I do think that if the mainstream continues to provide support while the eco-feminists take a different approach and get more critical it could be good. On the other hand, I get where the eco-feminists are coming from in that we should be spending all of this money on something that might actually make a difference instead doing the same thing (Ley 2009).
    Overall, I think the best way to approach the disease is with an open mind, and different perspectives, as well as good intentions. I think that is our best shot at finding something that works.