Blog 3, Chariot of the Gods

Of the many archaeological/historical sites that Von Däniken brings up, I found that the Gate of the Sun (as well as the Stone Water Conduits) was interesting. One point I would like to bring up at the beginning of this is a thought I have had about Chariots of the Gods fro awhile. It seems as though Von Däniken likes to write/come up with theories about so many sites that it makes me wonder if he has truly done the research for each and every place. He so easily falls into the inkblot that we discussed today, meaning, he probably only looks at what makes sense to prove his own points. Gate of the Sun and the Stone Water Conduits are both found in South America, in Tiahuanaco. he doesn’t overly elaborate on the Stone Water Conduits, but he does talk a great deal about the Gate of the Sun. He mentions how Tiahuanaco is a mysterious city full of megalithic structures and and drawings. He uses a woman named Oryana to explain how the Earth was created. Oryana only has four fingers, and weirdly enough, drawings on the walls contain images of a being with four fingers. It is likely Oryana was created solely out of the drawing having only four fingers. If the drawing had five fingers, I wonder if von Däniken would propose Oryana had five webbed fingers instead of four. Oryana also comes to Earth in a gold spaceship. Something that has (likely) been found by the time of this, however, what is the likelihood that gold exists enough on another planet or somewhere else is space. The fact that he explains the spaceship as gold seems to discredit the whole theory. If archaeologists have no proof of the space ship itself, how do we know it was gold? Using the Stone Water Conduits as well, von Däniken uses time as an explanation of an extraterrestrial intervention. He reckons that our forefathers must have had nothing better to do and since perfected a craft that we currently can’t achieve. I don’t find it overwhelmingly unable to happen. Truly, these people did not have nearly as much to do. They didn’t have technology such as phones, tablets, computers, etc., that we find ourselves using every day. They also did not spend time doing homework, or watching TV, mindlessly scrolling on social media. Point being, if someone is a crafter or an artist in these prehistoric civilizations, they assumably had a lot of time on their hands to be doing their craft. As far as explanations go, I believe that the Gate of the Sun was most likely constructed and used as some form of sun calendar. It could also have been placed at the top of a pyramid that is not visible to us or has collapsed (meaning the gate of the sun was moved).